swine flu outbreak

oxcowboy

You may be on to something.

After all, "Swine Flu" is just past tense for "Pigs Fly". :huh:

In the mid 1980's we had the big swine flu scare in Toronto, Emergency and contigency protocols were established. Immunization was strongly urged, but not ordered mandatory, for health care workers. We had the big media blitz on radio, television and print. The end result, more health care workers were incapacitated by the vacinne than the virus.

Truth is that in this crowded world, disease travels faster than any policy or program. Governments don't have the oomph to lay down quarantines like they once did. Any body remember the red cards that were posted to your door if you had mumps or measles. Immigrants used to be quarantined on arrival. Closing the border to specific nationals. These are measures which are designed to slow the spread of an outbreak until suitable countermeasures can be put in place.

Well it looks like it doesn't matter now. CNN just did a story and one of the interviewees was the head of Ontario's Health Dep't says this has probably been going on for two or more months and we are just now getting confirmation as all the pieces came together. Containment is no longer possible but it appears the cases in Ontatio and the rest of Canada have all been mild.

Thinking back to a few weeks ago when I was sick..I am left to wonder. Many of my friends have been to Mexico over the last 2 months.