trout report/question

bassmaster4

Me and my buddy hit up a local pond for the day on saturday and had a great time. Although we only caught one fish between the two of us (me) lol, a 12 inch rainbow that fell for a mepps aglia chartreuse #2 with a dressed hook. We were there all day and the weather was nice but the wind really affected our trip. We fished all day from noon till about 8 PM but then the weahter got bad so we decided to pack it in. We headed pack to my place and had a little fish fry. No pictures left the camera at home since i was expecting the rain. Lastly i have a question, we saw many trout jumping and when i caught the one trout my spinner was near the surface does this mean the fish are suspended, and if so what are some good techniques for catching suspended trout?

Thanks in advance

Marcin

Can only speculate. If we assume the fish were trout they:

Could have been chasing minnows near the surface.

Hitting insects near or on the surface.

Spinning tackle options if the above speculation is right:

Try floating minnow baits and keep the lure near the surface.

Small poppers or the like.

A small fly tied to the back hook on either of the above or with a small float.

If the fish are really zoned in on a particular insect it can be hard to get them to hit anything else.

You can buy small clear bobbers that you can fill with water, then have whatever you want as a trailer (fly, worm, streamer).

Once resident trout become dialed in on a hatch though, you need to get real close to what they're eating.