Cordova Lake

frozen-fire

I will be staying at a cottage up at Cordova Lake in the end of May and was wondering on the species available in that lake.

According to the MNR, there are:

largemouth

smallmouth

muskie

walleye

yellow perch

rock bass

Most likely i'll be after some walleyes. My gf who's really into crappie fishing was wondering if she could fish for them.

I couldn't answer this question as I had no clue if they have made their way up there.

I know Crowe Lake just south of it has black crappie, and since they are connected, surely they have populated that lake as well?

Any insight on this is much appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

Either way, I guess I should still pack the ultralight gear.

HI,

We rent a cottage there 3 times a year. We will be going there for opener. Primarily pike is what you will catch. We have also caught smallmouth. I believe at the mouth of the river would be your best bet for pickeral however, we have too much fun with the pike and not enough patience for the waiting game. I'm not an expert on the lake, that is just my opinion.

Mark

Cordova.JPG

Cordova1.JPG

Cordova2.JPG

Edited by Bigworm

I've had a cottage on the lake for the past 6 years, and I have fished it a lot. I have written an article about fishing on Cordova, and it should be published in a month or so. I'll shoot you the link when it's made public, hopefully before your stay there.

The #1 game fish in the lake would be smallies #2 walleye and #3 pike. Some impressive smallies in there. I've never caught a crappie in Cordova, but never targeted them. Perch would be the most abundant forage followed closely by rockbass. The waters are tea-stained in the spring and early summer. You are in for a treat, it's lightly pressured by anglers and a fun lake to fish. It has a little bit of everything for structure. Have fun, let us know how you make out.

Tight lines,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew (aka pooch)

Andrew, your reply was greatly appreciated.

Great to hear about the smallmouth fishing! However, since they will still be out of season, I will focus my attention on the walleye and pike.

I plan to explore the structure available and will post a report on how I do!

Thanks again!

Anthony

Andrew, your reply was greatly appreciated.

Great to hear about the smallmouth fishing! However, since they will still be out of season, I will focus my attention on the walleye and pike.

I plan to explore the structure available and will post a report on how I do!

Thanks again!

Anthony

if your gonna be targeting pike and eyes in the early season don't be surprised if you do happen to hook into a few smallies! all 3 live in close population in the early season

good luck and bring the camera!

Matt!

if your gonna be targeting pike and eyes in the early season don't be surprised if you do happen to hook into a few smallies! all 3 live in close population in the early season

good luck and bring the camera!

Matt!

Yeah...there will be accidental catches of smallmouth. They will be promptly released as do all the OOS fish that bite :)

Oh, you can bet there will be a camera! :P

Just a thought on the OOS smallmouth issue. We had this same problem when fishing the French River last year for the pike opener. We just couldn't keep them off the hooks. What we did to minimize as much injury to them as possible was to pinch down the barbs on all the lures we were throwing. Like it was mentioned above, they'll be on the same structure as the pike and will be going ape $%@$ trying to protect the nests.