Carp Help

danbouck

Went out for 30 minutes tonight looking for carp. Managed to hook into one but it got off just as the baby started crying and I had to head home.

I am curious what people use for a setup. What size hooks, float, weights, line etc. I am using a basic 6'6'' rod and spinning reel. Chumming the water with corn seemed to attract them pretty good. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow night before I leave for the week so any help would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

Sounds like you got the basics...#6 or #4 size hooks are my choice...haven't tried float fishing for them yet...I use a 1 or 2 ounce spring feeder with moistened ground bait (sinker is built-in) which slides up or down the line, a swivel, then a 12 inch hair rig with softened maize for bait (and chumming)...17 lb test mono and my hair rig is made with 12 lb test fluorocarbon leader material...

We can get into that when you come back...for tomorrow I would carry on as you are and enjoy the fun... :Gonefishing:

Edited by Beans

For bottom fishing with a 6'6" rod, go with a sliding 3/4 or 1oz egg sinker, then tie on a swivel, then a 3-5" hair rig. Hook sizes can vary, #4 are all-around, #6 worked good. Put a couple kernels of corn on the hair and your set. For the float a # 8-12 hook is good, with 2 kernels straight on the hook.

Hope this helps

Daniel

Edited by DanielM

The way to improve your odds of a solid hookup is the hair rig.

Here is how to tie one.

rig3haakknoop.jpg

Here it is with corn for bait.

hair3.gif

Impale your corn on a big hook( a worm hook works) Then hook the barb on the loop at the end of the hair. Slide the corn off of the hook and onto the hair.

You can use store bought stops. (They stop the bait from falling off the hair) or you can use a piece of a twig or straw or a piece very heavy mono. When tied properly this rig is highly effective.

I'd definitely recommend the hair rig as hammercarp has shown, as well as the long shank hook. Most guys use the short shank 'boilie' hook, but you'll find that you hook more and lose fewer with the rig above.

Personally, I find that it really helps to toss out a few method balls or handfuls of maize or sweet corn. This gets the carp feeding and coming back to your area and can really increase the number that you catch.

Also, carp are very hard hitting so watch your rod carefully. There are plenty of stories of guys jumping in after their tackle when a carp strikes.