Michigan Steel

troutologist

Good Friday I packed up the truck and headed down to Traverse City, MI. I’m not really sure how it happened but my float rod and waders found their way into the truck as well. A few hours of driving along the Lake Michigan coast (with strategic tributary rest stops) put us at our hotel.

The rest of the day was devoted to procuring goods in stores with stupid dance music and way too much cologne. I had never ventured into a lot of these places and could only muster a head shake at what was occurring there. On a side note apparently 40-45F in Michigan means its time for the eleventeen year olds to start wearing shorts, tank tops and sandals. Did I ever feel like a tool wearing a jacket in those temps with 30mph winds....anyways back to business.

What are the chances one of my fishing buddies would be in the same town with his wife a few hotels down?? Who would have guessed he would have brought his steelhead gear as well?? We planned the hell out of this.

Next morning we left TC at 5am and arrived at the Big Manistee hoping there were still some fish left after solo's visit.

Being a Saturday one look at the parking lot at Tippy was enough to chase us downstream.

Found a nice deep run and started drifting. First fish came on spawn and just gave me my cummupins, a big silver hen that I would have put over 10lbs...wow!!!

Switched to an olive jig and the first drift coughed up this nicely colored buck

IMG_4098.JPG

Same fish...

IMG_4100.JPG

Ended up going 1 for 4 losing 2 more fish quick after brief fights...jigs were the hot bait, my buddy had some hits on wax worms and caught a tiny brown.

At noon we packed it in to head back so could remain in the good books.

Id even venture to say it was an epic half day of steelheading on a couples weekend