Need Advice - should I get an electric trolling motor

camillj

Let me start by saying I dont even have a boat ... at least not one that I trailer around ... I typically am on the water for a couple or three days each trip (5 or 6 times a year)... although I do a lot of day trips where I rent a tinny/tiller from a local marina ... but when I go on the water it is often from 5 am to 8 pm ...

There are a 'number' of boats that I use over the course of the summer ( inlaws cottage, camp in Quebec, rentals on GBay, Kawarthas etc) ... anyhow I have for some time thought about getting an electric trolling motor for fishing those more 'finesse' occasions when I'd prefer not to paddle but the 9.9 is too noisy (or when I want to drift but need to make adjustments for the wind etc ...

But before I do I'd like to hear from you experts on the subject ... as much as I am interested in the relative merits of shaft length, co-pilot, foot pedal etc .... I am really trying to ascertain whether what I am thinking of doing is even advisable at all.

I was thinking I would buy a transom mount, battery, charger and maybe the foot-pedal (not sure if you can mount a transom mount at the bow and have 'remote' control with the foot pedal (remember I need to clamp this on to someone elses boat so I cant be drilling holes - all the boats will be ok to clamp on to the gunnels - and I almost always have a downeaster on each side even if only to lean my rod against - so clamping shouldnt be a problem :)

What is really concering me is the business of having to cart battery(s)/charger each time, having to ensure they are properly charged, can it stay in the boat (tinny) overnight or does it HAVE to come in every day , being able to properly secure it to the boat (and should it be a transom mount - do I mount it at the bow or the stern)

Also ... because my trip into the mountains is one where there is no access to electricity .. what is the 'normal' life of a fully charged battery (in trolling hours) ... would I need two charged batteries to last me a long weekend ?

(Not worried about getting stranded because there will also always be a fully gassed 9.9hp as the main source of power)

I am thinking of trolling in shallow water (quietly) and in finer control in wind/bays etc ... perhaps for trolling with fly's on top as well ...

I am not too worried about cost here ... its more about making sure it is money well spent... and that I am not trying to do something that doesnt make sense.

OK ... so what do you fellas think ???? Let er rip .... make an expert outta me ...

Get yourself a 30# thrust transom mount and a decent sized battery + charger and you will be good to go.

A group 27 battery should last you a weekend. You can even use it on some inflatable boats and one man pontoons.

My first boat was a 12' tinny with 5hp Johnson and a 30# electric on the transom for maneuvering.

This year I will be getting a new 30# transom job to use on my pontoon in the smaller lakes around here.

Its worth the extra work to have an electric. I did make the effort to lug an electric with me to a couple of lodges that I've been to, and the result was more fish. I was able to hit the spots I wanted with ease, and sneak up on the fish. Well worth the extra effort involved.

Its a nice thing to have for control, and stealth for sure, and before I bought my boat I did the same thing...

Rented and rigged my own trolling motor up.

I have never seen a foot peddle Transom mount before?(doesn't mean they don't exsist I suppose)

But the idea of a transom mount is to use it in absence of your Tiller.

It controls the very same way with a handle based throttle....easy to use.

Its possible to use it on the bow, but you'll need a block of wood or somthing to get it to sit strait between the hull and the brace clamps.

Its not quite the same as a rod holder, because the motor is pushing, so the motor can bounce a bit as the aluminum of the hull is not reinforced were the clamps sit usualy so it bends a bit under the pressure allowing the motor to wobble...a nice peice of 2x4 between the hull and the clamps will help keep it out and a "bit" more stable.

I use a 40lb thrust Transom mount version myself on my boat for controling my drift, or trolling, and it works fine.

A bow mount is better for control in the wind, but its not a luxury I have, and its definatly not a transferable unit like your looking for.

As far as Battery length...

Thats pretty variable.

The capacity of the battery you choose will give you running times the battery stores. So you can purchase larger batteries that say you get 4 hours, and smaller batteries that say you get 3 hours of running time....personally I'd take an 1 hour off of those estimates.

Then again its also subjective to the uses.

If your just useing it to adjust your drifts, and bounce along structure your battery will last you a few days before needing a charge, but if your trolling or running with It you'll get the posted maximum running time(minus an a hour LOL!)

Also if your into weeds you'll be working the motor harder, and drain the battery a bit faster.

So, if your going to a spot with no electricity, I would definatley recommend 2 large capacity batteries.

As for Shaft length Most Transom mounts are around 36", but can be as short as 30"

The longer the better if your going to use it on the bow(most bow mounts are 52-54" I beleive)

But if your going to stick with useing it on the transom I'd just get a normal 36"

Thats plenty of depth for most 14-16' rental boats.

Also,

There is no reason you "have" to take them out of the boat other then theft...

They are built to be outdoors, so if you wanna leave 'em there they will be fine.

Cheers,

Edited by Cookslav

Thanks guys ... thats very helpful .. I realized after poking around at LB today that thetransom mount really does need to be at the stern .. there isnt a way (I could see) to hook up a foot pedal ... unless of course you are passing control to the guy at the front ... which I cant see myself doing :)

Much as I feel the 'need' .. I have this feeling it aint gonna happen until I have a more permanent arrangement which includes on board charger :)

Just too much lugging ... besides ... theres something 'old-school' about having to pull the cord every few minutes to control your drift .. or as I often do .. just leave her running in neutral .. and shift gears (fwd/rev) to adjust for the wind ....