Trolling motor question

limeyangler

Hi all,

Ok...so we still have 2-3 feet of ice.....but its only 3-4 weeks before i get in the boat for the first time this year.

Last year...litterally on my final boat fishing trip in November my trolling motor packed up. I know they can be repaired....but i dont want to get advice on fixing it lol....its way past saving...trust me, its time to get a new one B)

It was an old 36lb thrust Minn Kota Bow mount....electric steer.

It was good on my 16.5 aluminium boat....but slightly underpowered in windy conditions.....soooooo

I'm looking at a new Minn Kota after deciding against some of the other brands like MotorGuide.

Given i want electric steer and not cable.....and it needs to be 12V and i'm looking at the 55lbs thrust, its between the Powerdrive and Terrova.

How many bells and whistles is optional, but with all the stuff...i.e Universal Sonar, Autopilot, Co-pilot, Weedless Prop 2, there is roughly a $200 - $300 price difference...the Terrova being the more expensive motor. Yes i know you can pick them up 2nd hand...ebay etc...etc...but iv'e been looking and aint found exactly what i'm looking for ...yet.

I was just wondering what people thought of the 2 models...can anyone tell me what they like about one over the other? because apart from the deploy lever(...yup...the powerdrive one is a real pain...my buddy has one...but apparently they have re-designed that this year) and the foot pedal...(which i'd hardly use as i'm getting the co-pilot which my buddy also has...like that a lot) i cant see much difference between the 2 models .

Well you just awnsered 2 of your own questions the deployment lever and the foot control.But there is a couple more.I have owned both within the last year and I like the Terrova hands down.The steering is alot more exact and smoother,I find it easier on battery power.It will not run when in the stowed posistion.As for bells and whistles I would go USP2 and Auto pilot and thats it.I think the co-pilot is not really needed when the pedal reaches all over the boat and is so much nicer to use.I use my Terrova for trolling even when I am running my kicker.I use the auto pilot to keep the troll on course.I can troll for hours using the auto pilot and never have to touch the steering wheel.It works great for setting up lines and trolling weed lines.

If it was me and its not but I would By the Terrova but save the money and not buy the Co-pilot.

And when buying a bowmount buy the longest shaft lenght your boat will handle.Longer is better.

Dan