Suzuki outboard 4 stroke oil

FishOn

Hey guys. I need some help with my 2001 dumb ass Suzuki 115hp 4 stroke that I just bought. Like to change the oil on the outboard. I don't know what kind of oil the last owner used for this engine. I have the original manual and it's asking for a Suzuki oil grade of 10W40. Wen't to a Suzuki dealership today and the parts counter person tried selling me a Motorcycle engine oil 10W40. That is all he had....After reading the back of the container it's says that this oil can be also used in outboards as well. Not sure about howmuch he knew about outboard engines. Anyways went on the Suzuki web site and they do have a 10W40 Marine engine oil . Well, my question is will the motorcycle engine work with the outboard??? Also, I am considering going with Amsoil Synthetic 10W40.. Any help will be appreciated....

Cheers

Thanks for the info. I have two dealers here close to me. One is Suzuki Newmarket and The Atc Corral in Stouffville. I started the engine yesterday. You can't here this thing run. Also was reading on the fuel grade and it requires at least 91 octaine. Good to know at these gas prices LOL.

Also was reading on the fuel grade and it requires at least 91 octaine. Good to know at these gas prices LOL.

Not trying to play the octane game of which is better, but, I checked my manual and they have different ways of calculating the octane rating which is sometimes misunderstood. The method most commonly used in North America, R+M, MON or PON versus RON in most of the rest of the globe works out that the 87 Reg grade here is equal to the 91 Reg grade called for in the manual. If you want to check, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating Scroll down about 1/2 way.

Edited by Fisherman