Please review my tactics

mpagnan

Good afternoon all,

Today I tried 2 new things, fishing for Steelhead on the Credit at Erindale. I was out there for 4 -5 hours and had not one bite. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to point out anything I need to improve on?

My set-up

10' 6" pole with 10 lb mono - 8 lb leader

Float with 4 evenly spaced split shots under

3" pinkie on a #6 hook

Where

From the damn heading North to the big bend to the right

Observations

On the majority of my casts the bobber remained upright during its run suggesting that the weight was correct and the worm was off the bottom. I found that it moved naturally with the current.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Mr. Depressed :(

Was anybody else catching today , were you beating dead water .

I have fished 3 in a boat with everone using the same bait / lure and seen guys not catch .

its what makes this the best sport in the world . you never know it all .

never give up you just have to out think a fish how hard could that be . LOL .

Pags I'm no expert nor have any experience in stealheading but I think that persistence and determination is key to this type of fishing.

Another thing.... if you see your shadow in the water.... you're on the wrong side of the river ;)

Good luck to ya!!!

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Where

From the damn heading north...

Your day could have been alot worse... A CO could have showed up and took all your stuff and wrote you a nice ticket for fishing in a sanctuary out of season.

Read your regs before you head out, you can't fish the dam on the Credit or anywere above the 403 hwy till the last Saturday in April.

And BTW, if you were fishing were I think you were fishing and you didn't catch anything there is a good chance you are doing something seriously wrong technique wise.

Edited by FUSION

I used to live 5min away from Erindale Park in Mississauga for 25+yrs... I've always tried fishing there during the run... but never caught a steelhead. I was using 'Bass Tackle' at the time but still using the appropriate terminal tackle setup to catch them.

Anyway, now I've got the right 'gear' (Float rod and all) - I'm still trying to catch the illusive "Steelhead" :D Just stay positive and things will eventually come your way! (at least that's the attitude I'm taking)

Good luck, and don't forget to report once you hook into a Chromer! :D

I'm still looking forward to catching my 1st Chromer Report!

Edited by Addikted2Fishin'

The key to catching steelhead in ANY trib is to understand EXACTLY where they are under each condition (light, colour of water, temp, amount of activity from anglers etc) ... then to place your drift so that they literally dnt need to move to inhale your bait .... get that part right and you'll start catching all the fish even when the guy beside you cant get a hookup.

The easiest way to do this is to stand (without a rod) over top of a fish for a few hours ... and watch how it moves ...

Probably the most important tool on a river besides experience and patience is a good set of polaroids.