trolling

FishinGreg24

I m new to trolling so i dont know if these are stupid questions

What i dont understand is if i have a rapala tha goes 8 feet deep and the fish are at 20 feet, do i just put on a jet diver and put out enough line to make the diver at 18-19 feet and it will put that rapala right at 18-19 feet?

when using a planer board can you or should you use a jet diver with them or shoud you just flatline a lure that gets to the depth you need it to?

thanks

Depending on the species of fish, sometimes trolling the bait well above will trigger strikes. If you put the diver down ten feet for example, and the bait has a lip that takes it down 8 feet, than it will be at 18 feet. Just don't think you have to place it right in front of their noses every time.

As for planer boards, I've never ran jet divers off of them. I would run deeper baits off jet divers and then shallow runners off of the planer boards.

I hope that helps.

Experiment! If you know the depth of an area- troll certain baits and see when they start ticking bottom, try to make note of the amount of line out for that lure, for that depth. Sounds hard, but if you stick to just a couple of types of lures it will become clear. If you run braided or super-lines, they transmit bottom contact much better than mono. I know I can run deep down Rapala Husky jerks and touch the high spots over 20' of water with about 150' of line out- killer for summer Pike; therefore most long lipped diving cranks ( Smithwick Rogues etc.) will be in the same ballpark.

A lot of lures will run much deeper than the box says with a lot of line out, much more than you would get on a normal cast. We used to troll with lures like Storm wiggle warts and hot-n-tots and not much trouble to get the bumping the bottom in 16 -18 feet of water.

Once you get the feel of it you can troll and follow the bottom depth on the depth finder and keep them at the right depth fairly well.

Never used downriggers or dipsy`s myself.

thanks for the replies!!

So really I dont need jet divers with crankbaits that can dive deep enough where the fish are?

only use jet divers for lures like sppons that dont dive deep or harness's?

I will have to checkout that book thanks again