Christie Lake outside Hamilton... Is it any good????

john_C

Looking to head somewhere for panfish and Crappie this weekend,, already been to Keswick and Holland enough times. Want to try some place new.

IS Christie open for fishing this time of year, and what species can be caught in there... I looked for info on Google, all the pages i found mentioned only the Trout ponds for kids... What can be caught in the Lake.. and is it worth to try, or is it fished out like a lot of other conservation areas like Albion HIlls?

• 2 years later...

earlier in the year they seem okay to fish, halfway thru the summer they are a solid mass of weeds from one side to the other. haven't fished in a few years but i have found all of the hamilton area conservation to be lacking in fish of any size. just my experience, but it seemed like if you wanted to go fishing they were good local spots, if you wanted to catch fish you may need to look elsewhere.

still better than sitting in the office.....

I prefer Binbrook Conservation in the Hamilton area compared to Christies. Binbrook is technically under the management of the Niagara Conservation authority even though it is in the Hamilton area. No gas motors, but have caught some good numbers of crappie and some reasonable pike.

i would also suggest binbrook over anything else in the area. its sheer size and depth (up to 28feet!) makes it feel like big lake fishing. loaded with crappie. extensive trail system surrounds. i see alot of guys fish it off their bikes as it is so big to walk around.

after a couple of emails to confirm, binbrook doesn't, of course, allow gas motors but you can drop your full size boat in there and fish with the trolling motor. most places wont let the gas motor in at all. the boat ramp and dock are pretty good, so i slam my boat in there and fish in comfort all day, i think for around 12$.

its nowhere near as good as the website says, but if time doesn't allow for a trip to erie or something, off i go.