Waterfowl...with a theme this time

brandon

I don't know what it was today but the ducks just weren't flying. And I didn't drive an hour to photograph sitting ducks. So I needed something to make the photos more interesting than just a duck bobbing in the water. I started to notice the Drake Mallards doing this thing where they dip their head under water, blow air out of their bill(which caused water to fly), then arch their back up. A few would do it at the same time. I'm assuming that it has something to do with mating because it is that time of year and it was only the males doing it. I decided to try and photograph that thing they were doing but it was pretty tough to predict which duck was going to do it.....I did manage a few photos of it though.....

DrakeMallardwebsite-1.jpg

DrakeMallard10website.jpg

DrakeMallard2website-2.jpg

DrakeMallard4website-2.jpg

DrakeMallard8website.jpg

DrakeMallard9website.jpg

With them throwing water around with that motion they were doing, I decided to keep looking for photos that would show water movement...here are some of those

DrakeMallard12website.jpg

DrakeMallard3website-2.jpg

DrakeMallard5website-2.jpg

DrakeMallard6website-1.jpg

DrakeMallard7website.jpg

I didn't limit myself to that theme though....I shot these few as well

DrakeMallard11website.jpg

CanadaGoosewebsite-2.jpg

Female Wood Duck

WoodDuckfemalewebsite.jpg

Drake Wood Duck

WoodDuckmalewebsite.jpg

Snow Geese

SnowGeesewebsite.jpg

Edited by brandon

Awesome action shots, Brandon. The ducks surely knew what they were about! They were telling you water action shots will be as good - if not better - than flying shots. Great job! It's hard to pick a favourite out of these, but I think I'll go with #11.