Detroit River walleyes

Bob Devine

The water temps are starting to warm and the walleyes are getting ready to spawn. I hit the D-R this morning while the sun was shinning and landed 3 quick walleyes 6.5#- 6# and 4.5#. The forecast is showing rain every other day so it may be hit or miss as anglers dodge the rain.

I was using a 1/2oz jig and a Bio Bait minnow in a smelt pattern. Peak runs will be in about 2-3 weeks as fish now are pre-spawn and as the water temps warm the fish will become more aggressive.

Early season is usually best for big fish and as mid April comes around it will be a mixed bag of both numbers and a few big walleyes.

I have included a picture of my fish finder to show you my jig bouncing off the bottom of the river, I fished a bit shallower to emphasize the picture of the jig. Good electronics are key.

104_1416.jpg

104_1418.jpg

Thanks for the update Bob. Thursday is looking to be a decent day with a little less wind (10 S) so I'm hoping to get out there for the 1st time this year. One of the advantages to working afternoon shift I guess.

Just looked at you sonar, 45 degs its timeeeeeeee !

Hey Capt George, they were a little big and prego so I let them go. I will bring you and Nora some soon. (trade ya for a coffee)

Krisco, just noticed my clock on the graph is 12 hrs ahead too? I found a warm spot on the river.. LOL

Edited by Bob Devine

The colour of those walleye are crazy....they all look the same, at least the ones I've seen on here, tv, etc.

Around here....back lakes, BOQ you get some pale ones, some dark gold ones, but you can tell a Detroit River walleye forsure!

Are they just as tasty?