73 Johnson 6hp outboard

Hey everyone,

a friend of mine has pulled out an old outboard from the depths of his garage. He got the engine ages ago and never bothered to use it, I guess he did not have a use for it.

It's a 1973 6hp Johnson.

it actually started and runs, but realized there is no water intake for engine cooling like most outboards. Since I am a young man and not sure of how engine mechanics worked in 73, I was wondering if anyone knew how these outboards stayed cool? Just air?

anyway if anyone knows I am really curious to find out.

There are two water intake ports on that motor. The main one is the screened intake after the prop in the section that dips off the anti-cavitation plate. The other is a small plate with 4 raised holes on the side just above the anti-cavitation plate. The later is for water flow when running in reverse. Replace the impeller. You should see lots of water coming out with the exhaust.

Very good little outboards. They ran smooth and virtually trouble free. Rewinds were sometimes a pain.

The engines were very durable, can't say that I ever had to overhaul one way back when. Maybe a head gasket or two.

If you ever want to part with it let me know.

Yup definitely water cooled, you may want to change the water pump for sure, about $25, I just got a water pump for my 1952 Johnson 5.5, it was still pumping water but figured it was time!

Actually, its the same impeller as your 5.5 hp, GeorgeJ. However, the 5.5 hp Johnson wasn't in production until 1954. What is your model number? Should start CD-??.

Actually, its the same impeller as your 5.5 hp, GeorgeJ. However, the 5.5 hp Johnson wasn't in production until 1954. What is your model number? Should start CD-??.

The number on it is TN 28 from what I recall it is a 1952 or 53, maybe it's a 5 hp, oh man my memory is getting bad. :o

The number on it is TN 28 from what I recall it is a 1952 or 53, maybe it's a 5 hp, oh man my memory is getting bad. :o

Oh yes, that's a 1952-53 5 hp. Different motor than the 5.5 hp. If I had your serial number I could tell you the year.

Oh yes, that's a 1952-53 5 hp. Different motor than the 5.5 hp. If I had your serial number I could tell you the year.

I feel like I'm hi jacking this post sorry fil, but I had this number scribbled on the paper beside the TN 28 and I think it's the serial number it's 1070494. It be nice to know the year, thanks boatman.