Ice out pike

cranks bait

So I managed to get the boat in the water yesterday. This is the earliest the river has been open in a long time. I am able to take advantage of pike till the end of March. I used my Husky jerk last night and had no followers.

What do I use right after ice out? I have never fished this early and am really excited. Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Thanks

Oh I also loved the fact that my motor started on the first tun of the key after it first winter storage.

It depends on how active they are. The should be hunting for heat at some part of the day. If they are basking in the sun they might be slow even if you can spot them. Afternoon is probably your best bet. You're looking for shallow flats with old weed growth with access to deep water. If you can find a creek mouth even better. Try the flat, then try the drop then try the bottom of the drop. If they are slow they will move off the drop and lay on bottom.

Try the storm swim baits and hollow body swim baits. Keep them moving...the tail action is what catchs their interest. Baits like your huskey jerk should work well also. Slow moving spoons like the williams trouphy of wobbler sized 50 or 60 work well. Take off the treble add a sturdy single and jam 3 or 4 inch twister tail on it....it's deadly.

If you think they are holding on the bottom start jigging. Regulat pink, orange, white, chartruse twister tails can trigger a hit even when they are really slow. Another option is a white double twister tail. Jigged or swimming it near bottom.

Play around a bit. If you find that they are slow....they you need to sloooooooow down you attack. That often means going smaller as well...more often then not. Don't ignore creek mouths either. There is a chance the water is a little warmer and its carrying food. Pike might be in the area. If you can find a spot where the current runs our over a drop you should be in buisness.

-Dave