Replacing power cable on dishwasher

Hooked

I know some hate NF questions here, but I have found great use here for NF questions, reason being, so many knowledgeable folks here. Anyways, to my question, I am replacing the power cable to my dishwasher. I had a buddy of mine make up a cable for me rated for 300V, however, when I actually checked the wires on the dishwasher it revealed a rating of 600V, was printed on the outside plastic on wires. I talked to a guy at Home Hardware and he said that hooking up my cable would be fine, I just wanted to pass it by the folks here first before I proceed. Not sure the year, but its a Kenmore Ultrawash dishwasher.

Edited by Hooked

Non issue.. many stranded wires are 600V rated.. your solid feed is 300 v rated and you're only feeding it 120Volts.. have at 'er !

That 120V feed kept going through my head, and I thought and it should be fine, but I just wanted to make sure. You are most knowledgeable and prompt Wayne, only took you 3 minutes! Thanks. If I make it up to Lakair, I owe you a beer.

The only real thing you should be looking at is wire gauge. Dishwasher is usually hard wired with #12 yet #14 is sufficient if running nothing else off the feed.

I don't have the cable handy at the moment, but I do remember the the gauge appeared to be a little bigger on the cable made for me. I now recall my buddy telling me about #12 and #14 gauge wires for dishwashers and I think he went for the bigger gauge.

Hooked,

In fact, the higher the gauge number, the lighter (or smaller diameter) the actual wire size is. AWG 12 can carry higher current (or load) draw than can AWG 14. AWG stands for American Wire Gauge. Just make sure your new cable is not AWG 16 or AWG 18. These would be too light for sure.

Hooked,

In fact, the higher the gauge number, the lighter (or smaller diameter) the actual wire size is. AWG 12 can carry higher current (or load) draw than can AWG 14. AWG stands for American Wire Gauge. Just make sure your new cable is not AWG 16 or AWG 18. These would be too light for sure.

Will do, thanks for the xtra info. You have helped me in the past and I appreciate it.