Cold Water Survival

Greencoachdog

I find these videos both informative and a great learning tool!

If you'll notice, at the beginning of 2 of these segments they mention that it's the beginning of Spring.

Q. What's the difference between ignorance and stupidity?

A. The ignorant don't know any better, the stupid know better... but do it anyway.

Edited by GCD

When I was a volunteer fireman I took ice water rescue and got certified in it. Not a pleasant task at all and is very difficult to do. For those ice fishing, all I can say, invest in a good cold weather floater suit. It may well save your life one day!

When I was a volunteer fireman I took ice water rescue and got certified in it. Not a pleasant task at all and is very difficult to do. For those ice fishing, all I can say, invest in a good cold weather floater suit. It may well save your life one day!

John, my brother was also a volunteer fireman for many years and they were called out one night about midnight when someone reported hearing cries for help far out on the ice. My brother and 3 other firemen put on PFD's & took a ladder and some ropes & made there way out to the 2 men but the ice was so thin they were cracking it as they went. They eventually got to them where they broke thru the ice, but one man was already dead and the other was in critical condition.

They were able to get them out and back to shore where the 2nd man eventually recovered.

Some folks never seem to learn to stay away from dangerous ice, but it would be good if they'd give some thought to those that have to put their own lives in jeopardy when they need to be rescued.

Far too many good people have died trying to help those that don't put enough thought into what their doing themselves.

After that rescue/body recovery they petitioned the township to provide them with an inflatable boat to drag with them when they needed to ever go on dangerous ice again.

John, my brother was also a volunteer fireman for many years and they were called out one night about midnight when someone reported hearing cries for help far out on the ice. My brother and 3 other firemen put on PFD's & took a ladder and some ropes & made there way out to the 2 men but the ice was so thin they were cracking it as they went. They eventually got to them where they broke thru the ice, but one man was already dead and the other was in critical condition.

They were able to get them out and back to shore where the 2nd man eventually recovered.

Some folks never seem to learn to stay away from dangerous ice, but it would be good if they'd give some thought to those that have to put their own lives in jeopardy when they need to be rescued.

Far too many good people have died trying to help those that don't put enough thought into what their doing themselves.

After that rescue/body recovery they petitioned the township to provide them with an inflatable boat to drag with them when they needed to ever go on dangerous ice again.

Do fire departments ever outfit their rescue guys with drysuits for winter water work? We've stayed down in near freezing water (34 F) for up to an hour without being uncomfortable. All you need is the right undergarment and a drysuit that doesn't leak.

JF

When venturing out on the ice, ice thickness is not the only thing to take into consideration!!!

THINK ABOUT ALL THAT FREEZING COLD WATER UNDERNEATH!!!, be prepared!!!... don't be STUPID!!!

THINK!!!... do you really want to become a Darwin Award Recipient???

:lol: A guy from Bama teaching us Canadians about cold water.

:lol: I thought the same at the time, I figure the only cold water Glen knows is in a glass with ice cubes, But then again,,,,,,,,,would it be water????

Damn good info anyway Glen. Thanks.

:lol: A guy from Bama teaching us Canadians about cold water.

Not teaching or preaching (well maybe a little preaching), but mostly a reminder!

The surface temp of the lake I always fish down gets down to 45*F in the winter (it got down to 43*F this year), I used to think it wasn't that cold... but after watching those vids it was very sobering!

The water temp that those folks are jumping into in the first vid is 45*F, and to see them gasping for breath and losing mobility so quickly is an eye opener!!!

The 1-10-1 rule is very good information!!! One minute to get your breathing under control, 10 minutes of mobility, and one hour to hypothermia... but if the water is colder than that and you don't have any flotation protection, your first gasp for breath usually occurs under water and that fills your lungs with water and you drown way before hypothermis has a chance to set in!

Since I've been watching those vids, I always wear my life jacket in the winter now! As you get older, you get wiser (or supposed to anyway!).

Call me an old softy, but I find it distressing to read the reports of good people that have lost their lives by going thru the ice or just because of frigid water... it is so preventable!!!

All it takes is just a few seconds to strap on a PFD or put on a flotation suit!