snowmobile junkies help!!!

silvio

So I was working with my dad this summer at a friends house and he had a snowmobile sitting on a trailer on his lot. I went to check it out and it was a 2000 year class ski doo or artic cat (forgot). Basically this guys got to much money bought it got bored of it and parked it. Its been sitting for probably 2-3 years now. Considering how long its been sitting for I would think its a 04-05. I could get this sled for cheap with the trailer but I’m concerned because of the fact its been sitting. Asides from just sitting its track is not elevated. what problems are to be expected with a snowmobile that’s been sitting for that long? I want to use it just for ice fishing. Thanks!!

Edited by silvio

Guest skeeter99

battery may be dead if electric start

pull the cord over or starter and see if turns over if does should be fine

drain the gas if it aint jello already

if it was on a trailer the track should be fine they really on rot on the ground, but can on a trailer to some degree

may want to look over suspension /sliders to see if seized or badly weathered

I will second Carl's concern over rusted internal engine components. If the engine wasn't properly stored there could be rusted crankshaft bearings and crank surface which will rapidly deteriorate and sieze.

Also make SURE the carburator jets are spotless clean.

Be cautious here, but if the price is right make the deal. It may pay off to have the engine disassembled to make sure it is OK before starting it.

engine can be a concern like already mentioned, other than checking it over for mice nesting, it pulls over fairly easy drain fuel ect the only area i would be looking to is to make sure the clutchs are not sticking, and don't bother checking just change the driveshaft bearing oppisite the chaincase

last season a friend pulled up to the shop with a deal he found ,he bought a Skandic 1995 if I remember correctly,503 thing was rough cosmeticly been sitting since 98 he was told ,tarp had long rotted,503 was seized couldent pull it over,he dident have or want to spend much money on it ,so pulled the plugs poured oil down the walls got the breaker bar out and turned the flywheel it broke free .cleaned the carbs drained the tank ,thing fired right up 2nd pull hes run it almost every day for the last 2 seasons since ,I belive he got lucky but hell ya Silvio id buy it if I had the chance

Edited by North East Shark