March 9th Simcoe Report

Fisherpete

With my new 10" Jiffy Stealth STX auger from the CT sale in tow, I headed out solo on Monday morning from BBP. The day started out on the right foot - I got a legal parking spot! All I can say is HOW did I do without a power auger before! I quickly learned (after a soaker) to throttle down once the auger breaks thru the ice LOL... On my second hole drilled, I found 94ft of water and started fishing. Within 5 minutes, I had two nice whities flopping on the ice, around 3lbs each... they were so aggressive, that as my lure sank down, I watched them fly up from the bottom and smash it around 15 feet off the bottom! Another soon hit, I fought it to the hole and lost it when my spoon hooked the edge. Two more came right after that, bigger ones, a 4lb and 5lb, which both went back down the hole and swam straight down. The 5lb one had my entire Williams (sz 60) inside it's mouth! Not the easiest to remove from a whiteys mouth... I ended up clipping off the side hooks. Think it was hungry??? So far, 30 minutes 4 landed, 1 lost... Maybe a 10 minute gap, then THUNK! A really hard hit, and my reel starts screaming drag... I am thinking that maybe my first laker? Maybe even a big one? A 5 minute fight, and nope, no laker, but a TANK of a whitey comes up thru the hole! I would estimate this one to be at least 7lbs, maybe even 8. I was glad that I had bought a 10" auger, because there was no way this one would have fit thru the 6" hole that my old manual auger would have made. After that, I fought and lost one more, and then landed and released another 4lb whitey.

So, in one hour (9:30am-10:30am), I had gone 6/8, including my personal best Whitefish! Guess what I caught for the rest of the day? NADA! Had two more hits, but that was it. Stayed at that spot for another hour, then tried all different depths from 40ft to 110ft with no luck. MNR came by for a visit, took some scale samples and a bone sample from my whiteys. Both of the fish I kept were naturals (no fin clips). They said that one other guy out there had a small trout, everyone else had nothing! I guess I had the lucky spot for the day! (which is now marked on my GPS woohoo! :P )

That hour was the most fun I have ever had ice fishing! Going to get out once more on Friday to try and break my laker curse. There was still lots of ice out there, probably 18" or so. A few guys were still driving their trucks out there, maybe a little sketchy when looking at areas of the shoreline.

Edited by Fisherpete

Sounds like a great day! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Did you happen to get a tourney entry pic of that big Whitey for our team Pete?

In case you missed it, you're on Team #1 The Slammers... we're currently in the lead! B)

We meet here:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry316190

Drop in and say Hi!

Edited by GCD

Camillj - I felt lucky just getting the auger in the first place - one, that the wifey actually said "Go ahead, that's a really good deal", which it was ($275 vs $550), and second that Canadian Tire actually had it in stock when I went there!

Hey GCD! No, sadly I rarely bring the camera when flying solo... wish I had! Don't know if I would have taken a pic with the whitey left flopping around on the ice either since it was being released... I didn't have my OFC logo either, but both will be along on Friday's outing!