need help with reel 1000 or 2500 model?

Guest buick14

Guest buick14

HI all

I am looking to buy a stradic mgfb, regular stradic, or sustain

is the sustain worth the $100 more for 2 bearings and titanium spool lips? Is there more to this reel or ..

stradic priced well, but I want to try something a tad diferent possibly..but 100$ difference..will i even notice?

stradic mgfb anyones thoughts..???? not even much light even though magnesium?

Now, it will be for a dropshot rod, ML

whats the best size to go with? 1000 is what i was thinking for weight, Ihave never done under 6 lbs...but want to try 4....is 4 lb on a ML strong enough for solid hooksets etc.?

help me decide please, I kinda want a 1000 but am affraid i will end up with a 2500(not that its a bad thing either...)

thanks!

-Mark

I owe a 9 or ten year old Stradic 1000. Since I use baitcasters for anything over about a 1/4 ounce, it's my favourite spinning reel,

Last year I landed a large mouth of over 5 pounds and several Smallies of over three pounds with it.

I was using 10 pound Power Pro on it.

The 2500 might be a better all around size, but for plastic worms and drop shot-ting I love the smaller reel.

When I bought this reel I felt the Stradic sat at the point of diminishing returns. Up to that price you got quite a bit more each time you moved up a price bracket. After the Stradic the steps were bigger and the additional gain was smaller.

i think you'll enjoy the 1000 size a lot more for that application. 2500 series reels are good all-round reels if you need them to do many things but for a specific ML application the smaller reel will be better IMO

i can't comment on the stradic vs sustain

I only use stradics they are the best bang for your buck.

I have mostly 2500 and 3000. I find the 1000 too small for most of what I do.

The mgfb is a sweet reel, its a little lighter but not all that much.

the new FI's are deadly and unless money is bo object I would save the extra cash and get a FI.

The 3000 series has a sweet paddle handle and holds a bit more line, great for braid.

you can also interchange your 3000 and 2500 spools.

I personally think a 2500 would be a better all round reel, but it comes down to what suits your needs

i use the the 1000 for dropshotting and i find it balances out the rod more in your hands than the heavier 2000 or 2500 series, nothing but 6 pound 100% berkely fluro never had a problem or break off fishing erie for smallies, before buying bring in your rod and put both on you will see what i mean, good luck with your purchase.Wayne

Guest buick14

thanks for the help, here was my conclusion:

The stradic was probably the best bang for the buck, but I noticed a difference between the sustain and the stradic for sure....now the mgfb, I noticed no difference except price and color

So I got a sustain...

The 1000 series balanced much better with the rod without a doubt....but there were no 1000 sizes left, so I got the 2500

I am still happy with my decision, as I feel with time it will be more versatile for me, and I may feel that little bit better knowing I can change it up if I wanted

thanks for all the help again!

-Mark