Preparing Boat for the season

Peps

Check tire condition and pressure, bearings, check lights and tie downs. Then check minimun safety requirements list and upgrade if needed, new ropes and anchor line if required, check winch strap. Add gas to tank and a shot of seafoam. The rest was done last fall. (the plug is already in the drain hole). Make sure the appropriate paperwork is in the waterproof container.

Edited by Fisherman

Jack up each tire on the trailer and spin it. If it spin fast, not noisy then I stop the tire from spinning and grab it at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and check for excessive end play in the bearing (this has worked for me for over 20 years). If OK on each tire I jack it down and check the trailer lights. Also check for correct tire pressure while also looking at the tire sidewalls for dry rot.

I then hook up the ear muffs for water on the motor and start the outboard. It will run rough at first because of all the storage oil in the cylinders. Once that oil is burned off it will still run a little rough as it spits because there is no exhaust back pressure. This is normal on my 1985 VRO 50 hp Johnson. Now I will replace the two spark plugs and the motor is ready to go.

Replace all the electronics on board from winter storage and run them through a test. Also test to see if the bilge pump turns on. Can also check the live well pump to see it also turns on. Check boat running lights. Add all necessary fishing gear for crappie fishing, top off both gas tanks and head for Chautauqua Lake..... :Gonefishing: