Braided line vs. mono vs. freezing temperatures

Dozer

So, I've used the search function, its been an hour and I've learned so much about different lines, fishing techniques and went through about 5 reports.

An hour later and I remembered what I was originally trying to figure out, haha!

Anyways, will braided line form ice at a quicker rate than mono?

I was thinking it would 'cause it would "hold" water more than mono... thats just a guess...

Maybe its me but it seemed today while on the river in -16 degrees that my rod tip was freezing quicker than my buddies ( same rod ).

Yarrrrr.

Braid definitely holds water... If it's below zero, I wouldn't be using it.

BTW if you are steelhead fishing, try to keep your line out of the water as much as possible when trotting your float.

I always tend to get frozen eyes also, when my buddies aren't. Nothing but inexperience on my part, lol.

Although I have seen some guys use a bit of vaseline on the first 20ft or so of line, might wanna try it out.

Well, as you can see from my post I am still such a noobie. I appreciate your very informative post :)

Each trip my experience level increases, its like a video game.

I'm always observant and curious so fishing really gets me thinking, even though nearly all my friends think its the most boring thing around :P

Thanks Bill.

Dude, I'm a newb to, don't get me wrong. I'm just lucky enough to fish with some extremely knowledgeable guys... I ask a lot of questions and make sure I remember their answers :)

At this time of year the fish aren't going to run a whole lot for a small bag or jig. I've been using big gooey quarter sized roebags with success. Some other guys fish nothing but jigs and do just as good. I guess it's all personal preference. Biggest thing is putting your bait infront of the fish... 'learning' a river is the hardest thing I have found. I could make 10 drifts, my buddy comes along makes one and smashes a fish. The difference? He knew where the fish would be...

I still fumble around with my casts and get some backlash or whatever now and again. It's all apart of the game, just keep at it...

Dude, no word of a lie here man, I can get my partner to tell you the same thing I'm about to type.

Today, I was watching all these guys fishin' right. Most were using the typical size roebag. No one was producing, so I figured, since no ones pulling out jack, I'll use two roebags instead of one, try making it larger and beefier, you know just to try to peice together this trout puzzle.

I kept telling him that "shes ( as in the river ) telling me lots of things", I mean, I didn't catch anything, but I had an idea about the depths and such, it's all just observing.

Oh man, I can't wait for this season!

I remember 3-4 years ago, seeing guys float fishing, I'd take a 7 foot medium rod, slap a heavy wooden bobber on it, no idea about anything and I'd put in like 30 hours into it with one fish on the line, hot summer days spent with noobies who knew nothing about it and were doing the same thing I was. Last year started up again and near the end of the season I feel like that I've advanced so far. Still got lots to learn, though.

Edited by Dozer