Kayak

Hey everyone,

I want to buy a kayak this year for fishing and im not sure what kind i should get. I have used a canadian tire sit in model when on sale only costs 299. It worked fine for the times i used it but am unsure if i should spend a bit more money and get something more comfortable and suited for fishing. I could really use the advice from you guys who fish regularily out of a kayak to help me make a decision. Thanks

Jason

nice to see another person interested in kayak fishing depending on what your budget is there are many things to consider where are you going to be fishing lake or river? do you want SIK SOT? you want speed or maneuverability?

Edited by Pure

I have two kayaks. One is an inflatable, one is a small >10' sit in model.

The inflatable is far more stable which is good for fishing. It is not a very fast kayak. I cannot keep up with my eight year old son when he uses the other kayak. You do get wet because of the width of hte kayak increases the amount of dripping inside; a longer paddle may solve this.

I find the solid sit in kayak to be a little unstable for fishing. However, I am 6'4" and about 265lbs. A lighter person may not have a stability problem. This is something to consider if buying a smaller kayak. I think stability is more of a concern for fishing than just kayaking. The hard shell kayak is much faster. It is easier to tie a hard shell to the roof racks than it is to inflate the inflatable one.

Edited by JohnBacon

12 foot would be a good, SOT are good for summer months but have alot of storage and places to mount stuff like fish finders and rod holders ect. i personally have a SIK they keep you nice warm and dry but dont have as much storage depending on the kayak but its mostly personal preference

this is my kayak here

Picture026-2.jpg

i will be adding 2 flush mounted rod holders where the black spots are and mounting a fish finder and scotty rod holder on the dashboard

if you have more questions this site is very help full with ideas http://www.yakfisher.net/

Edited by Pure

Pure has the right answer, go to yakfisher.net. Most of the guys there are OFC'ers as well. I agree that a sit in yak is the way to go for most river, pond and small lakes. In your budget I would keep an eye out for a Necky Manitou Sport. It's 11ft long and as fast a yak as you'll find under 16ft. It has a large cockpit, lots of storage space and a very comfortable seat. I rented one last August and landed this 43" musky from Pigeon lake out of it.

musky40.jpg

No rod holders. I had one on my first yak and I took it off after a couple trips. It was on the front and always got in my way.

897706berg8.jpg

Unlike most yakfishermen, I'm a minimalist. Most guys have a crate with 2 to 4 rods and tons of lures as well as landing nets or lip-grippers, fish finders, gps units, anchor trolley systems, stake out poles and dash boards to mount everything onto. I take my water bottle, safety kit, camera, a plano box or two and two rods. In my PFD I'll have a sharpening stone, measuring tape, pliers and some jigs and power grubs.

any kayak you can fish out of but some are better then others you can easly buy a CT one and add rod holders but make sure that the kayak fits you right you dont want to buy one and not be comfortable

and you can use the clips or stretch cord to hold you paddle some people also like to use rod leashes just to be safe

< rigged kayak

I have two kayaks. One is an inflatable, one is a small >10' sit in model.

The inflatable is far more stable which is good for fishing. It is not a very fast kayak. I cannot keep up with my eight year old son when he uses the other kayak. You do get wet because of the width of the kayak increases the amount of dripping inside; a longer paddle may solve this.

If you decide to go with an inflatable I have an Innova Helios and Solar. They are slightly above your price range. The Solar is more open top and has room for equipment. I don't fish from my kayaks so I really don't know what type of storage you need. I'm guessing that the Helios doesn't have enough storage areas for your equipment.

Helios

innovahelios1.jpg

Solar

innovasolar11.jpg