Home-made Go-Getters

Fishnwire

I want to start making my own go-getters...seems pretty simple, but maybe there's more to it than I'm thinking.

When I say "go-getter" (possibly a Northern term?) I mean an arrangement simular to a worm harness, but with beads and an in-line spinner, and usually a single hook.

Anyone know a site or on-line article with tips and info on selecting materials and tying go-getters?

Thanx

Thanks Chris, there's a ton of cool info there...but I don't see exactly what I'm looking for.

I don't mean an Erie-Dearie, or any kind of spinner with a stiff wire shaft. I'm after the type that guys usually use for walleye, with a slip sinker or possibly a bottom bouncer...often trolled. It is made up of some kind of limp shaft material, usually some sort of tough mono, onto which beads, an in-line spinner blade and sometimes a small coloured float are strung, after which a (usually) single octopus (or simular style) hook is tied. Usually a barrel swivel is tied at the opposite end, and away you go. I've always heard them refered to as "go-getters" up here in Sudbury.

The last two years I've bought them, already assembled, but have noticed I can buy all the individual components and make them myself.

I tie my own - unless you want specific blades, you can get pretty well everything at Ramakko's.

I use 35lb Seaguar leader material instead of mono. I tried wire and it just kinks up too bad after a fish or two. The flouro keeps the snot rockets from trashing the rig. I also use the spinner blades that thread right onto the line (no clevis). I find they turn much better at slower speeds and don't collect the weeds/algae as bad.

I crimp the front end with a steel sleeve and a swivel. You can bend the tag-end of the flouro downwards from the crimp and attach a splitshot to it. I rig it this way when fishing them with minnows - it keeps them running "true" instead of rotating/spinning through the water.

CIMG1077.jpg

I'm form Sudbury also so I get the go-getter term. I wouldn;t waste too much time at Ramakko's since they don't really have much of a selection. luremaking.com is pretty much your best bet so you can get anything you want. I don't know where you do most of your fishing though, but I've had all kinds of luck with those earie dearies. Thing is I buy the plain ones when u can and paint them up myself. Pink and white. Your buddies will laugh until they notice your catching more fish.

I call this a "Blown Lindy Rig" Basically everything you stated above exept without the spinner blade because of the blown night crawler and the fact that this rig is fished on a very slow controled drift or with a positioning motor....Its a killer rig on the walleye on Nipisiing...

DSC02289.jpg

Does the worm and hook stay off the bottom?

Thats the beauty of this rig is that the worm does float higher up in the strike zone which makes it more visible to the walleye as you drag the rig along the bottom. Works great and only takes a few minutes to tie one up fresh if you break off. All the components are available at your local fishing shop too !!!!

Cheers !!

Northhunter has the right idea...I like the look of your rigs. The only thing I might change is doing away with a second hook. If you're just using a small minnow, why bother with it?

I tie them all with a treble behind - I troll these slow with large common shiners. Some days they hit the hardware up front and the main hook gets'em. When they don't, the trailer does most of the damage.

If I'm using minnows too small to be hooked with the treble, I just clip them off as I go.

Only trouble I have is after extended use the metal blades will start to wear through the leader, but the rig generally sees enough fish to swap it out for a new one by then.

Edited by Northhunter