How to become a Charter Captain?

rock34

Hey group!

I think we have all heard the expression at one time or another "do what you love and you will never work another day in your life". While I have realized that there is one major passion that I have in my life and that is FISHING of course.

So I am wondering how people have become charter boat captains.....?

Have you simply fished a location for pleasure for so long that you are productive enough to turn it into a business venture?

Are there Charter companies that will hire "deck hands" (for lack of a better term) to be trained to eventually captain a boat?

If you are a charter boat captain in Ontario, what do you do in the winter?

So many questions and I have no idea what the answer is.

I really have no idea how people get into the industry and I am sure there are many ways, I am just curious as what those ways are :)

Cheers everyone!

Hi Rock,I think the term

To be a Captain one must posses a Captains license,to call oneself captain when chartering without a captain is a federal offense to the navigational laws

charter captain may be somewhat missed used in terms of chartering or guiding.

As far as guiding,well in 2009 Transport Canada has federal laws in place and applicable in most provinces

1) You need a First response at sea training course (it similar to Med A 3 but instead of 8 hours its a 2 training course,not sure of the labelling of the course)

One I took if FUM A3,which is emergency response at sea

2) You need first aid at sea training courses

3) You need boat inspections done by TC every year

From this point on,I would suggest to start on a part time basis as you will build clientele over years

Genrally its a 5 to 10 process to establish stability.To trully earn a good living,you gotta be bullet proof and spend time on the water.more than you wish some days. Over time it does not become a job,its a way of life.

Getting rich,certainly not a goal,having a wealthy life because of what it brings you is financially not purchasable

Establishing yourself where others are establish,may or may not create conflict,my suggestion is go about your ways and dont bother anyone or better yet find an area and niche you create and trail blaze rather than go down the same beaten path.Generally this approach assure long term viability and stability

It is difficult on family life,it take allot of sacrifice from everyone in the family,including you

Certain season of the year are about you and earning a living,other times of the year its all about your family

My greatest advice is be a conservation minded operation towards your resource and it should always be there to provide

Diversify your pressure and presence and your stability in success will standardize itself

Edited by marc thorpe

Marc,

Thanks for the details you have outlined. I had no idea that someone would need the training that you mentioned, although it does make total sense.

Where do you take training such as that??

Pickup a book called Chapmans? navigation and start reading. Your the skipper and responsible for people`s lives out there, for pay, a little different than fishing with the friends. LOL I thought about it once myself, the idea of fishing for walleye day after day on Erie just didn`t strike the right bell for me. Plus I am not down with keeping fish enough to run a business that might require it .

Rock, Marc made some very good points about training courses available. I have been guiding for a number of years as well and staying on top on the regulations and making sure I was covered by the standards that were set. First aid, commercial insurance, CPR and the MED A-3 course that is offered by Georgian College were the steps I took to become a guide. I see Marc took the FUM A-3 and I may have to upgrade to that one as well. Some guide associations will keep you up to date as to courses and regulation changes.

Those were the ones offered the other factor is spending time on the water learning how to catch fish. Another part of the puzzle is working with people, there can be plenty of free time and good conversation can make it or break it.

I have enjoyed guiding since I started and that is mostly because of the people I have had on my boat. Being on the waters of Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie and the Detroit River I am fortunate to guide for several species, bass, musky, walleye and steelhead. With the different species also comes numerous techniques such as jigging, casting trolling and downrigging and that keeps it fresh too.

My season starts early April on the Detroit River for walleye and finishes in Dec with the closing of musky fishing.

Hope this helps,

65.JPG