Sour or sweet?

Fisherpete

Went out with my son to Hank's huts today (Jackson's Pt. Lake Simcoe), caught no fish but had a great experience overall. He took us out to the 'far' huts in 85 ft of water. After trying everything in my arsenal for six hours with no luck (and no marks on the finder) I finally feel some weight on the end of my line while jigging a Williams half and half. Strange, as I am bringing it up I definately feel some good weight, but no headshakes, no runs... well, lo and behold, I pull up a head & carcass of a big laker (probably 10 lbs+) that someone had cleaned and then dumped down the hole. I immediately thought ''THAT'S why I didn't get squat today'! ' I have heard varying theories, that this 'sours' a hole making it useless, but others swear that it is great for the fishing. Either way, it was GROSS. I switched huts after that, but only had an hour left to fish and marked a few, but no takers. What do you guys think - does dumping the remains down there sour a hole or make it a sweet spot?

Hey Pete, did you foul hook it or have it lip hooked. 'Cuz if you lip hooked it, you could have kept 'er!

lol

Ok, sorry. I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions on this too.

On thing though, I think it's just plain wrong to clean your catch and dump the carcass down the hole for the next customers to worry about whether if screws up the fishing or not. Don't dump down the hole!!!

Did anyone else have any luck that day? I'm going out there Saturday hope it picks up!

Personally I think a complete head and body represents death and likely not attractive to other Lakers. But small bits properly cut up and chummed should bring in some investigative fish.

Edited by Jet

Well since you said you didn't mark anything and your neighbor did, perhaps it did throw them off.

I was in Cooks bay this year at a hut and the bottom was filled with garbage. What looked like old sausages (about 6 of them, all white and bloated), plastic utensils, cans, plastic bags, it was disgusting.

We caught squat that day, and for Perch early in the season (second week of Jan.) it's pretty rare. Not sure if that was the reason, but it looked really unnatural to the fish I'm sure and might have told their fish senses that humans were there - stay clear.

I think the fish would dig that at first, but after it got older they would probably start moving off. Oh and fish dont shy away from their friends raining down in little peices... they actually quite enjoy it. Theyre weird like that.