Has anyone fished with P-LINE ?

BigGuy

The nerve of those evil tackle companies. Braid has been out since the late 80s and they are still trying to sell us those plastic lines after all these years. And those hicks on the pro bass tour, I heard some still uses fibreglass rods and stretchy monos lines for their crankbaits. What about those guy on the PWT, they still use monos for their live bait rods. Finally there are fishing legends like Al Linder, he still suggests using mono for jigs when fishing for walleyes, he must be going senile. LOL.

Seriously, specific applications needs specific lines. I have nothing against braids. I use them when I need long distance hook sets, for cutting threw weeds and deep water applications. To suggest using superbraid for a newbie is just nasty. I know I won't change Garry's opinion and that is fine. To each his own.

To the newbies who decide to go superbraid without getting your basic knowledge down first.

Remember Garry when:

-you try to free that stubborn snag by yanking on the rod and the bail of your reel breaks off or the rod literally explodes in your hand.

-better yet explaining to the doctor in the ER how you sliced you hand open by pulling on your line to free that same snag.

-or finding a piece of the lips of that lunker on your hook after losing it at boat side because your drag was set too tight.

Trust me all of the above can and does happen regularly, that is why almost all the pros

at the seminars suggest monos for beginner because it is a more forgiving line.

Well, this has been fun. No hard feelings and good fishing everyone.

I think for ripping through the weeds in rice lake is a pretty good application for braid.

No bias here as I have a pile of different different types of lines for different things including P-line for trolling crankbaits for walleye, I also use some braids for that as well.

Hey BigGuy. Come to think of it, there is a good review on Fluoro-clear on tackletour.com.

Just go to their line section. There are reviews on many brandname lines including braids, plus a fantastic write up on the full spectrum of fluorocarbons available including scientific test result. (Not personal opinions Ha! Ha!) Good Luck.

Hey Big Guy,

I'm sure you know this but just incase...

If you go the braid route just remember to set your drag back to your leader strength.

Your line will only be as tough as the weakest link especialy during hook sets LOL...

If you run a low stretch line such as flouro for your leader bare in mind your braided main line is ZERO stretch so when you set that hook your putting

"A LOT" of pressure on that shorter peice of low stretch leader.

Thats a recipe for disaster if your not loosened up on the drag.

I'd actually recomend mono in that instance myself....its got a bit more cushin for that kind of set up.

but then again I suppose all of that would depend on the lb test your useing as a leader.

Nothing wrong with braid and a leader, especially in the situation you've outlined just be aware there is a bit of a learning curve in the use.

Cheers,

I love P-Line. It's all I use. I found it really holds up to the rocks/zebras of Georgian Bay. However, last year for the 1st time I bought a huge spool of it. Wasn't happy w/ it. I think I got a bad spool. I'm going back to the 300 yd version, which has never failed me. For a few yrs I experimented w/ Trilene and other lines on my various reels, and P-Line was far and away the best.