Rod and Reel combos

Lunker777

Hey everyone

There seem to be so many different combos for the different types of fishing, I seem to be getting lost.

I was wondering if I, and the other members that might be in the same boat, could get a break down of the different rod and reel combos each of you prefer to use for a particular type of fishing... Ie: crankin, swimbaits, spinners, soft plastics. etc.etc.

thanks for the help !

Edited by Lunker777

Unless you are a professional angler a lot of the hype over different combos is just that, hype.

A medium action rod and reel, your choice baitcaster or spinning will catch and land most fish. I do like a little softer action for throwing crankbaits, but I use mono for line so it`s not a big deal. I do like a flipping stick and baitcaster for fishing cover, but also use other combos at times.

Most of the time I have a medium action rod (fast tip) in my hands, casting or spinning, for flipping or pitching a medium heavy.

Specialty angling, Salmon, Muskie probably requires different combos just because of the size and fighting ability of the fish, for muskie also factor in the size of the lure.

I am sort of tall 6' 2" I just prefer a longer rod 6'6" to 7' but have bought and used shorter ones if they felt comfortable. Did a lot of bass fishing, when your making 500 to 1000 casts a day the rod in your hands will probably be the most comfortable one.

For trolling give me a baitcaster on a 7 foot rod every time.