Canadore/Environmental Technician

Joeytier

I've received an offer of admission into Canadore college for their eco-tourism and Environmental technician. I'm leaning heavily towards Environmental technician, since I love science, and it seems as though the employment possibilities are more abundant with that course. Do any of you have any first-hand knowledge on the course, or even the school? I'm very much looking forward to living in a northern community, and hope this course can lead me into employment opportunities up north as well.

Thanks in advance.

Lots of jobs in the environmental field. I graduated from environmental technology at fleming last april, and started a full time permanent position with a local conservation authority right out of school.

No info on that school though.

I'd go for it. The environmental programs cover such a broad area, it can lead to many fields.

Sinker

I am a gradutate of Canadore and it is an AWESOME college, the slogan "Environment for Living" is absolutely true. you won't find another college with its own HUGE pond in the back yard (great for the major pond hockey tournament in Feb) over 7kms of hiking trails in the back yard, WIFI everywhere and fantastic profs, just to name a few things!

They have student for a day program, you can sit in on class for a day, talk to the students, professors get a tour of the college, you might want to set that up.

I have not heard of Canadore College, but from the responses it sounds like it is a good institution.

If I may, I suggest you also look into a Chemical Engineering Technology - Environmental program.

I took this program at Mohawk College and it is basically a 3 year plus co-op program with the first two years following a Chemical Engineering Technology program, and the third year you have the option to continue the straight chemical or take the environmental option. If you take the environmental option you basically graduate with two diplomas, one in Chemical Engineering Technology, and one in Environmental Technology.

I believe this will open more options for you in the workplace.

I presently work in sales for the leading company supplying chemistry to the metal finishing and electronics fields, have been there for 13 years now. Great place to work, great pay, benefits, etc., and had I just taken environmental, this would not have even been an option.

http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/calendar/chemicalEngTechno.html

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess