Quick strike rigs

BigGuy

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of making my own quick strike rigs using 30 lb. fluorocarbon as the leader material.

The bait I will be using this coming Spring is a 6" chub/sucker under a float. To comply with the regulations of 4 hook points only, I will use a single hook for the lips and a treble hook just behind the dorsal fin.

I never fished with bait this big before and wonder if the experienced pike/musky fisherman on this board could advise me on what hook sizes to use for 6" chub/sucker.

I was guessing size 1 for the single hook and size 4 for the treble hook. What do you think? I appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

Regards,

BigGuy

Edited by BigGuy

if you are using dead bait, I would recommend at least a 3/0 hook in the front. when we do shore fishing for trout we use a bigger hook as the size of the bait allows the hook to go all the way through and when the hook is set, the hook doesn't need to be in the fishes belly when the bait is being taken

this can allow for more catch and releases without damaging the fish too much

Charlie Wray (Fishful Thinking) did a show on pike fishing with the kind of rig you are considering. In the show he tells you how to tie your own rigs including the knots and hooks used. It is available here: http://www.myoutdoortv.com/show-microsite-...l-thinking.html

Cut and paste this address to your browser, the actual show is on page two called "Seaguar Rigs for Pike and B.C. Sockeye".

Hope this helps.

Jim