Question - Spinning Reels for Ice Fishing

alexmedic

I have just discovered a new winter passion for ice fishing.

I am just in the process of gearing up and had a question to all of you out there:

Is it okay for me to use my normal light and ultralight reels, instead of buying the ones that come with the rods?

Will I do harm to my summer reels using them all winter?

Thanks!

Thats what I do. Every couple of years I pick up several Okuma UL 10. Its a fantastic little reel for all year use. Once a year I take them apart and clean em up and add reel grease to the main shaft and gears inside. Then I oil the handle and bail and they are good to go. I've found that the reels that come with an icefishing combo are usually the cheapest money can buy. I look for a good rod or combo as long as the rod is what I'm lookin for then replace the reel after the first or second winter because the drag usually burns out or the gears are made of plastic. Spend the little extra on a good reel and you won't be disappointed. Good luck and enjoy the season...remember its the most fun you can have with three layers of clothing on. B)

unlike open water fishing, when you're ice fishing you only have approx 30" of rod to absorb the shock of the fish...if you're targeting big fish splurge a few extra bucks for a decent reel with a GOOD drag system....the okuma mentioned above is a great little cheap work horse....i also have a tiny AX 500 shimano (30 bucks at BPS) and a quantum ultra light...the Pflueger trion and president are great reels as well.....all these reels have done very well for me and are all under 50 bucks...

I prefer to immediately open up the reel housing and degrease everything...i then drop in a few drops of cold weather oil or just some regular light oil...NOT grease...that's just my preference....i find most reels are packed with too much grease and it will stiffen up on the ice

Guest gbfisher

I use the same spinning reel that I use in the summer for ice fishing. Use the same line as well. The only thing I add is a swivel and floro leader. The extra line capacity is needed to fish deep and big Lake Trout will take you for a good ride if yer lucky enough to get one on.

Works great. :Gonefishing:

Last weekends haul.... :lol:

IMG_0717.jpg