Ice Fishing Around Huntsville

FLEX ROD

Just found out the wife has booked Grandview Reasort for March break with the kids just past Huntsville they will be skiing for 3 days I cant due to my loosy knee but that means I should be able to get in some ice fishing.

I have never ice fished out this way and being late in the season March 14-21 I have no clue where to go.

Please advise I do not want to drive too far 20 - 30 min max. and I am open to rental or just on the ice HELP PLEASE.

Thank you,

FLEX - John

Sorry I should have mentioned this in the orriginal post - I am not looking for any personal spots just some names of outfitters and or names of which lakes to target. As I do not know this area and with my knee being what it is any and all help would be appriciated.

Thanks, FLEX - John

Sorry I should have mentioned this in the orriginal post - I am not looking for any personal spots just some names of outfitters and or names of which lakes to target. As I do not know this area and with my knee being what it is any and all help would be appriciated.

Thanks, FLEX - John

Depending on what tackle ya got, about 20 minutes east, out #60 to the town dock at Dwight . . . . easy to find in a little burg of 100 people. It's an amazing little spot . . . you walk 100' out, you're sittin' on 70' of water. This is Lake Of Bays . . the locals catch lakers, whities, and the occasional speckie. The time I was there I was markin' a lotta fish right along bottom, jigs didn't impress 'em, but the rod with the #10 hook kept gettin' l'il taps? I went to a #12 . . . with a maggot . . . . BINGO!! I reel this thing up . . . out pops a 10" SMELT!! My cousin changes over to a l'il ice rod too . . . in a few hours we had several dozen . . averaged about 8", but we got one 11" one. MMMMMMMMM tasty! We were jiggin' em just off bottom, about 67' of water. If ya don't find anything else, it might be worth a shot. No locals out that day . . . it was about -20, mid February. About 20" of ice.