Perching part 2, chowder recipe included

Dano

Fern and I decided to give the fishing a try on Sat at our local resorvoir, so we loaded up the sled and the dog and headed out. We were fishing the flats in 6' of water and missed a few but I nailed a nice 13" er, which I added to the ones I had caught earlier in the week and I figured we now had enough for a meal. I didnt bring my camera with me so I have no pics of the couple hours we spent out.

When we got home, Fern got on the web to look for a good chowder recipe to use while I did some cleaning around the house (true story). She found what looked like a good one and made a list and went off to the store to fill it while I walked the dog.

Back at home she suggested I take a nice hot bath while she prepared supper..what a woman! Soon wonderful smells were wafting their way upstairs making my mouth water. I came downstairs to what amounted to a gourmet meal, man was it good. I dont know what I did to deserve her. See below.....

gallery_42_223_87409.jpg

here is the recipe, it came from experiencelifemag.com, and is a Lucia Watson recipe.

Tomato-Basil Fish Chowder

2 tbs olive oil

2 stalks celery, coarsley chopped

1 onion, coarsely chopped

1 carrot, peeled and coarsley chopped

1 medium green bell pepper, chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, mashed

5-6 ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped (or one 12-ounce can of diced tomatoes)

3 to 4 cups of chicken broth

salt and pepper

a splash of balsamic vinegar

3 fillets or 24 oz. or so of firm fleshed fish

a big handful of fresh basil washed and chopped

In a large heavy soup kettle, heat the olive oil and add the celery, onion, carrot, peppers and garlic. Cook over medium heat, covered, for about 10 minnutes, stirring occasionally.

Add tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper and vinegar. Cook over medium heat another 15 minutes.

Add the fish and simmer gently for eight to ten minutes, so fish is cooked and not falling apart.

Divide basil into four bowls. Ladle the fish soup over the basil and garnish with croutons.

We decided to throw a little bacon into the mix too, though I must admit in our haste to eat (well, mine anyway) the basil was forgotten. It was delicious anyway!

So how does everyone like to eat their fish, lets hear some recipes!

Fixed, thanks Roy.

Edited by Dano

Sounds wonderful Fern but you'll have to talk to your BF about posting recipes here. You see, it's customary for the ingredients list to contain the same things as the directions. Otherwise it jess ain't the same yanno?

You didn't think I read all of these posts eh Dan?