Cypress Creek

brandon

Well I've moved back to Vancouver again, North Vancouver this time though. Last time I lived in Vancouver I was driving to North Van daily to hike/take photos so this time I just decided to live right in North Van.

Alright so I've been back since the 30th and its rained until today. So I made the most of the weather and headed to Cypress Falls Park and took a few photos.

Most are of the same subject however some are portrait oriented and some are landscape oriented and some are black and white aswell....enjoy

here is some abandoned climbing rope

008editbwresize.jpg

008editresize2.jpg

009editbw.jpg

009editresize.jpg

and here is a bridge i've photographed many times before

021editbwresize.jpg

023editbwresize.jpg

and finally a little set of falls

025editresize.jpg

026editresize.jpg

Now the reason for the black and white photos is because the colour of the water. It's not very clean looking and the levels are waaay higher than normal. We had a ton of snow here and its all melting now so most of the normal places I take photos from at Cypress Falls are now feet below the water.......anyways sorry for the repeats......

when shooting flowin water scenes I like to keep everything in focus....or try anyways......this means foreground and background. To do this requires a small aperture (high aperture value)......but this is good because the higher the aperture value (smaller the aperture) the less light allowed into the camera and therefore the slower shutter speed you can get away with......keeping the iso lower will also let you get away with a slower shutter speed and so will a circular polarizer........keep in mind though that a super slow shutter speed isn't always what is needed to get that silky appearance......i find between 1 and 3 seconds works good but it all depends on the scene, the water speed, amount of agitation in the water, and just the overall appearance your trying to get. The slow shutter speed sometimes works against you though such as on a windy day. In some of the above photos you can see where branches have become blurry because the wind came up as the photo was being taken.

A couple more hints......always use a tripod, and certainly don't be afraid to use your camera's timer. I was using the 2 second timer on my camera yesterday and due to the wind I was still getting camera shake so I had to use the 10 second shutter and just hope i had some luck with me.

And finally......don't be afraid to experiment with different aperture, iso, and shutter speeds. It's more of a trial and error type thing than anything.

Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with

Excellent work, Brandon. I like your choice of playing with colour vs b/w objects. The first four pics are excellent examples of original colour shots and what can be achieved with your 'creative cap' on.

P.S. I envy your ability to move between Ontario & the west coast every so often!