Kicker help

taper

What set up do you guys use for your kicker? mounted on jack plate or directly to the transom and do you connect to the main motor for steering. I was told if I go directly on the transom (better option) I should buy a long shaft and that you cant connect to main motor for steering if you use a jack plate. Does this sound correct.

Edited by taper

Guest Trophymuskie

Not really, if mounted on the transom you can use a rod in the front to connect the engines. If using a jackplate you can use a system like EZ steer that connects from the back of the motors.

My Crestliner comes with a 25 inch transom so even a long shaft isn't long enough so I had to get a bracket to lower it.

Taper it depends what type of boat you have .Also does your kicker have a long shaft or a short shaft.When I had my fiberglass boat with a steering wheel I installed a jack plate for about $150.00 my kicker had a long shaft so the plate kept the kicker from dragging in the water when running with the main motor.The transom was too thick to put the kicker on .I also had an EZ steer bar a great system that clicks the 2 motors together with a bar and 2 couplings.Be ready for the price I paid $350.00 in 2001.the system works well I attached a cord to the bar because you have to reach behind the 2 motors to connect them .The cord was a precaution just in case I dropped the bar in the water.

Since I bought my new lund I bought a bar that connects the 2 motors price $45.00 it is a great system.You install two fittings on each motor similar to universal joints and you just have to connect the 2 motors quickly.No need to fork out alot of money for an EZ steer.and no jack plate.

good luck.Mike

you cant connect to main motor for steering if you use a jack plate
... that statement is hogwash. Of course you can. The better system is the one that you connect in front vs the EZ steer which is a rear mounted system. They are both simple in that a rod is attached to both motors therby allowing you to steer the kicker with the steering wheel. With the front mounted unit you don't have to stretch out over the motors to connect them.

As for the long shaft vs short shaft question, usually long shaft is better in these situations. But that would depend on your boat. What kind is it?

... that statement is hogwash. Of course you can. The better system is the one that you connect in front vs the EZ steer which is a rear mounted system. They are both simple in that a rod is attached to both motors therby allowing you to steer the kicker with the steering wheel. With the front mounted unit you don't have to stretch out over the motors to connect them.

As for the long shaft vs short shaft question, usually long shaft is better in these situations. But that would depend on your boat. What kind is it?

Yes I have to agree with Jerry I prefer the quick hook up of the front mounted steering bar.I am running a tiller with this bar it saves my back from having to lean over and steer the kicker.I have owned the EZ steer in the past and you really have to lean back far off the back of the boat to connect it,with a little wave action you could easily drop the bar in the drink.The front mounted system is quicker and cheaper for $45.00 you can't go wrong.

Mike Ps i just run a manual kicker .

Edited by Mike the Pike

If the cavitation plate does not reach below the bottum of the boat you will need a long shaft. If the boat has a v in the transom that will be in front of the prop when its turned toward it ,it may cavitate the prop and you'll need a long shaft.

When I had my 71/2 long shaft burgled I replaced it with a 6hp yamy short shaft. I managed to get away with the short shaft by using a bracket and trimming it in all the way but its only a fair weather rig as it will cavitate in a chop.

I made up the linkage to the outdrive out of old air chucks and copper pipe.

Taper, I'm not familiar with Polar Kraft but I'm assuming its a 17' to 18' aluminum boat, which is probably a deep hull boat. In that case I would opt for the long shaft. Yamaha is a good choice but if it's a 4 stroke I'd get it with electric start. The 4 strokes are "cold blooded", ..... they don't run well when cold and at low RPMs'. I had a Johnson 9.9 4 stroke and the thing almost gave me a heart attack every time I used it from pulling on the pull cord. I also had a Yamaha and it was the same. A buddy has a Merc and his has to be restarted a few times before it warms up but the good thing is, it's electric start.