Midland Bay

Tdel

I don't know many details but Midland Fire & Rescue were called out. I was talking to the son of a fireman at the coal dock and asked him what was going on. He said that someone has gone through the ice right in the path that the ice breaker and grain boat had made.

Tom

When I was down the coal dock there was a plane flying around the bay. Looked like he was looking for something. He would climb up and then circle, then fly right along the ice. We were wondering what he was doing. We left to go downtown and the fire trucks were leaving with their sirens and lights going. We were told they were going to Currie Rd.

We thought it was a fire. Five or ten minutes later I went back to the coal dock and the plane was on the ice and a group of people had gathered out there. It was out across from Midland point in the path that the ice breaker and grain boat made. The Plane took off and the snow machines left the ice. Some people walked of the ice heading to Midland Point.

Tom

Yah I heard Bruce out in his Northstar... many times the police come to him or myself to help do an aerial search for stuff as both our airplanes can fly slower than most. We both looked for Jake Just.

Edited by irishfield

Yah I heard Bruce out in his Northstar... many times the police come to him or myself to help do an aerial search for stuff as both our airplanes can fly slower than most. We both looked for Jake Just.

i've seen planes flying around while ice fishing, the one i can remember is white, with a dark stripe i think.

Well the story is...

My Neighbour was out for a flight and saw a guy on a sled that he thought was looking for a way across Midland Harbour. He came around again and noticed the guy was lying beside his sled.... so he called 911 on his cell and then landed on the ice. Taking the chance of losing his airplane to check on this fella that was apparently taken away by ambulance. He had hit a pressure crack/ or the mess made by the ship and got thrown off the sled.

Thanks for the info Wayne.

Going through the ice or hitting that piled up mess out there, both can be just as deadly.

If it was the broken ice that he hit, I am amazed he would even think about it driving over it. It was a bright enough day to see the broken ice from shore.

There were a several people with snow machines buzzing the bay yesterday.

Tom