Corps to turn on Barrier IIA good news

Spiel

Corps to turn on Barrier IIA good news

"The recent announcement by the Corps of Engineers is welcome news that will greatly assist in our efforts to preserve the fisheries and unique species found in the Great Lakes," says Rep. Miller

January 5, 2009 / www.great-lakes.org

WASHINGTON, DC –Congresswoman Candice Miller, MI-10, received confirmation that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has completed safety testing and will activate the IIA electric dispersal barrier in the Chicago Ship Canal by the end of January 2009. This electric barrier will prevent dangerous species from entering in to the Great Lakes and disrupting its fragile ecosystem.

“Throughout my nearly three decades of public service protecting the Great Lakes has always been a principal advocacy of mine, and I’m pleased with the bipartisan efforts of my Great Lakes colleagues to ensure a quick and proper implementation of this barrier.” Miller continued “The recent announcement by the Corps of Engineers is welcome news that will greatly assist in efforts to preserve the fisheries and unique species found in our Great Lakes.”

The northward migration of invasive aquatic species such as Asian Carp, through the Mississippi River has been a long-term concern of advocates for the Great Lakes. These carp can weigh up to 100 pounds and consume up to 40 percent of their body weight in one day. Their consumption habits could cause tremendous harm to native species in the world=E 2s largest freshwater ecosystem.

“I appreciate the thorough safety precautions which the U.S. Coast Guard and Army Corps of Engineers have taken to ensure the safety of this electric barrier and applaud their decision to activate the permanent barrier next month, in order to prevent these dangerous species from entering in to our precious Great Lakes,” said Miller.

The electric dispersal barriers in the Chicago Ship and Sanitary Canal are all that prevent these carp from entering in to the Great Lakes. The activation of the permanent electric barrier next month will assist the current demonstration barrier in deterring invasive species from entering in to the Great Lakes.