opening laker day

pike slayer

So ive been all jacked the past couple weeks for jan.1st lakers. I had in mind a great lake for them just north of the sault called crooked lake. i went there alot last year and between me and my buddy we would pull 20-30 lakers in a day. My buddy was off in edmonton for the holidays so me and my brother went venturing up into there. Now to get into this lake is a little tough, you gotta go through the bush following this little path at times can just fit a snowmobile. So im following the trail and someone was already breaking in. and i caught up to them. there was 2 guys on tundras that have never been up in there before and they had just picked some of those lakes back in there cause they are on the mnr stocking list. and they half lost with their gps cause it doesnt not show the trail and theres all downed trees and it barely even looks like a trail. So they made a path for me and i went breaking in with my new polaris rmk 700 giving it the true test as to what it can do. i was so hot and sweaty i left my helmet and my gloves and i was just givinger nonstop. i finally made it to clearwater lake and i waited for the others to follow my path. my face and hands were all scratched up from the trees hitting me but it felt good being the first one in. i drilled holes in the ice to check the ice and there was 12" but 3/4 of that was slush pockets. we had got wayyy to much snow and not enough cold snaps. and by the looks of the trail with still open creek, mud holes, etc. So i decided to play it safe and not venture any farther because between clearwater and crooked its just one big swamp with open areas all year round even during the coldest winters and i wasnt gonna chance sinking my sled in a swamp or someone else following me through the swamp thats not aware. So we stayed on clearwater fishing with the guys with the tundras. We only managed the one laker and the other guy missed one. It was kinda disapointing that we worked sooo hard for one little fish. later in the afternoon we broke trail into a speck lake near by and try it for an hour or with no luck so we packed up and headed it home. i hope you enjoyed my little write up. this is the first one of 2009 and there will be alot more to follow throughout the year! Gavin

laker_taker.jpeg

Edited by pike slayer

Thats an epic adventure! i cant wait to get my snowmachine back and get out into the wilds! I've had a few trips like yours too....not as far into the boonies....but being dissappointed with the fish count, when everything seemed set for a slaughter.

Guess you'll just have to hammer 'em next time.....look forward to your next report....lakers are my fav!

thanks for the replies. i wasnt execpting a huge laker yesterday but was execpting a few average ones but not making it to the lake i wanted to i wasnt execpting to many but more then one haha!! i'll definitly will be reporting again soon and hopefully more pictures. i have to start bringing the cam with me. lakers are definitly my fav winter fish to 90% of my winter will be lakers. one of my post will be of a big laker! gavin

Can't wait to see a great big laker from one of your secret back lakes, Gavin...keep at it! Last year I was breaking a trail on foot...with tons of soft snow...with a very crappy homemade sled....it's all worth it when you ice some nice trout though :)

Great report and pic Gavin :thumbsup_anim:

You certainly work hard to get there and got rewarded with your very first laker.... congratulations :clapping:

I've never caught a laker before on hard water simply because in QC, lakers are OOS :wallbash: but some outfitters are open for speckle.... not many and it's expensive.... that's why I fish for eyes and pike mainly :D

Again good job and thanks for sharing

Jacques

i definitly worked hard to get into that lake to catch my first laker of the year. i blazed a nice trail for everyone else so its now easy riding in. pikeie who is your buddy that fishes it all the time, i may know him. also when you head back to the sault go with your buddy in there, its some awesome fishing back there for lakers and also specks and theres even a lake back there with rainbows. its always a great time if you can make it in!