braided line dilema

waterwolf

I have and do fish both,I find the weave alittle tighter on the super braid making it smoother therefore I prefer it for spinning reels.The PP seems to be more abrassion resistent.I like the red PP,the theory is that red disappears 1st in the light spectrum under water and I find it less visable than green.

Been using 6lb test Fireline on Nipissing for many years now. The first few casts with fresh line it is a little stiff but once it breaks in I love it. Casts very good distance when fishing the reefs. If fishing around rough rocky bottom I cut off a couple feet every once in a while as it does tend to fray when rubbed. It's strong enough to straighten the hook on my jig if snagged. Also landed a large pike (figure somewhere around 20lbs) with no leader one day with it. Now if was fishing Quinte with the monster pickerel there it might be prudent to bump up the line strength a little.

I'd skip the tape altogether Jim, all lines will slip on the spool when you first begin to spool them up... but once you get a few good wraps on the spool, crank down the drag and pack it on there!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

The slip problem with braid is not when spooling it, but when fishing it. Because braid doesn't stretch, it can't "bite" into the spool and won't grip it. The whole mass of line will slip on the spool when trying to pull in a fish. I've seen it happen several times. The first time it happened to me, I thought my drag was giving me trouble.

The solution? Either (1:) back it with a bit of mono, joined to the braid with a uni to uni or whatever, or (2:) apply a round of electrical or masking tape to the spool first so the braid has something to grip on. In my experience, either works. But I usually use the tape as it's much simpler than a knot for me.

The slip problem with braid is not when spooling it, but when fishing it. Because braid doesn't stretch, it can't "bite" into the spool and won't grip it. The whole mass of line will slip on the spool when trying to pull in a fish. I've seen it happen several times. The first time it happened to me, I thought my drag was giving me trouble.

The solution? Either (1:) back it with a bit of mono, joined to the braid with a uni to uni or whatever, or (2:) apply a round of electrical or masking tape to the spool first so the braid has something to grip on. In my experience, either works. But I usually use the tape as it's much simpler than a knot for me.

Read my post here!