lake simcoe

walleyemaster

went out on lake simcoe this morning with the skidoo checking out the ice...ice is good in gilford area about 6-8 inches of good black ice....fished a little for the perch caught breakfast and in i went and had them with some eggs...kept two jumbo perch fed me and my pal jeff....lots of perch fishermen on the lake this morning...if your intrested just drive north on hwy 400 exit at hwy 89 and drive east until you reach the lake...you will find good ice and great perch..you may even see some atv's and skidoos out there as well...i travelled up past kontiki marina a bit north of 89 by sled and ice was ok there but by the 8th line ice looks still to be not ready..i figure by next weekend she will be good enough by the 8th line if we can keep up the cold weather....

well jeff who lives there has been walking the ice for the past few days... i spent new years eve up there and this morning we saw 2 atvs out there and we saw 3 sleds..1 atv had 3 people on it...jeff and i were on the lake yesterday with our sleds about 10 feet off of shore and we ran south of 89 all the way up to the river mouth...we spudded a hole and found again 6- 8 inches.. we all know that looking at the hole the ice thickness looks less than it truly is.. we put a measureing tape in the hole and found 6-8 inches to be the average.. we then proceded to move past the river mouth....this is always a concern for us due to the fact running water areas freeze a little slower than others... it was also 6-8 inches so we proceeded across the lake to the other side across form gilford..when we came back across the lake of course we stayed on our ttracks we went just a little north of 89 just 1/3 mile past kontiki and found ice to be 5-8 inches so we turned around and just kept mainly to the south of 89..if anyone was there today they would have seen my orange pumpkin machine...without jeff i would not even attempted it..i know he has good knowledge of the lake and his window faces the lake...but he did not mention someone went through the ice....