Gowganda or French River

Patriot1

Tookmy dad to Gowaganda a couple years back for his retirement gift and had a blast. Stayed with Auld Reekie Lodge and they bent over backwards to make our stay the best it could be. All kinds of fish caught on the home lake, and traveled to two others they araange while we were there, one was fly in private walleye lake. We went in August and caught steady fish. They have everything you need and can set you up with a package for a boat and bait, even meal plans. I highly recommend their lodge. I have memories from there that I will cherish my whole life.

I too stayed at Auld Reekie, but that was like 16 years ago and that's about how many hours it took me to get there. Nice quiet place back then with a little store across the lake. My Dad went for bass and did quite well as there seems to be a lot of nice structure in the lake, shoals, shore lines, etc., if I remember right. The host back then were very accommodating and helpful to make our stay pleasant. I spent time targeting pike, but never to see a one - but there in there. Took a one-day fly-in to a pike lake and landed a couple real nice ones there. Never did a fly-in before, and I'd love to do it again. We were actually in camp when an emergency call came in for us that my grandfather had passed away in Florida (my Dad's father). So we're burning the airwaves from camp back to the states trying to get things arranged for a dash home - then a flight to Florida. The owners were very gracious and allowed us to use the phone anytime we wanted. Really appreciate that. If your looking for a nice quite place (at least it was years back), you'd probably have a good time in that area.

In recent years, I've been spending my time fishing the French. Went several years in a row back in the late 80's / early 90's to Bear's Den Lodge out of Hartley Bay. The owners actually live about 1/2 hour from me here in PA. Really liked it there and would have kept going back had they not changed their policy on allowing pets. Caught my PB Pike out of there at 37 1/2". Nice clean camp nestled back in a little bay, quiet, and relaxing. Very close to a lot of great water and you can catch about any species there, if you know where to look.

Following their policy change, we started staying at Rainbow Camp on the North Channel of the French and also at Wolseley Lodge, just down the road from Rainbow. Rainbow provides about 5 miles of fishing on either side of the camp, with rapids on either end. Bass, Walleye, Pike, and Musky there. I caught my PB musky not too far from the camp at 43", plus another smaller one. Also caught my second largest pike there, but didn't take time for a measurement. They do take pets and offer a 20% off-season discount, which is nice.

We really enjoy Wolseley Lodge as it sits in the back of a long bay and provides access to a lot of good looking water. Quite a number of large muskie's are caught there, including some into the 50" range. Their kinda hard to find and tougher to catch. Never caught one there, but have had numerous follows.

For me, since I have an interest in pike and musky fishing, I'll take the French. Not the numbers of fish, but you always have the chance of catching a trophy. That's why I we keep coming back year after year.

You can also consider coming to Lakair in June for the annual OFC GTG. Great times and even better friends and fire-side comedy and tales. Lakair is on teh West Arm of Nippissing. up Rt. 64 from Noelville, on the way to Sturgeon Fall. Lots of great water there, with easy access to the West Bay. Spent a good deal of time out there last year. Looking forward to coming back again for next year's GTG.

Auld Reekie has been so long ago, I just don't remember all that much and we had to cut our trip short. If you're interested in a couple of these places I mentioned on the French, lemme know.

Best wishes:

Rich

Edited by Rich Clemens

I've been up to Auld Reekie Lodge 4 times in the last year. I have fished there 3 out of the 4 seasons and can tell you the fishing is fantastic. The owners are second to none and definitely will do everything they can to make your stay the best! With your booking you get a boat on the main lake which is filled with many big fish (Lake trout, pike, walleye, whitefish, smallmouth bass) I pulled a 35 inch northern out of there this past fall.

They have an outer lake that is chock full of smallmouth bass. 2 of my buddies and myself spent a day up there and caught 103 bass between the three of us. This lake is a great one for taking the kids to as the fishing is exceptional.

Another outer lake that they shuttle you to is full of walleye. We always manage to boat more than our limit and have never come out of there empty handed(we don't keep em all for those raising eyebrows here :canadian:

Yet another lake they have a boat on is full of pike. We usually catch 30-40 pike in a day on this lake.

There is also another lake with a short portage that is full of pike walleye and bass. This lake has access to the Montreal river and if you travel back a ways there are tons of fishing spots.

The meals you get when on the meal plan are unbelievable. I think in all the trips I've made up there, I've only ever completely emptied my plate once. Urs can cook and he makes sure you don't leave the table hungry!

They are about 5-6 hrs north of Toronto and well worth the drive if you ask me. They offer guided trips to East Shining tree and there guide will put you on the fish!

Here's some pics from our summer trip and if you check back through the posts there is probably a post from my fall trip. If you want any more information just send me a pm as I've gotten to know the owners (Urs and Dianne Brunner) and their family extremely well over the last year and a half.

my35inches-1.jpg

TheWeirBoatCrew.jpg

20inches.jpg

35incher.jpg

gowsm2.jpg

gownp1.jpg

gowlt1.jpg

PB