Finally made it on to the Hard Water

Ramble

FINALLY made it out onto the hard water this morning. Been a bit of fiasco right from the get-go.

Anyway, Saturday we risked life, limb and sanity to drive from Belleville to Toronto on the 401. Insanity, sums up the 4 hours it took to get their. We were parked and in the theater an hour before the “Nutcracker” started. Yes, the ballet.

Then we went out for supper afterwards and I was going to take the train home that evening, but due to the whether she decided she was going to go to Hamilton for the night instead of heading up to Orangeville. I said “I’ll go with you.”

She replied “Aren’t you going ice fishing tomorrow?”

“Yeah, but Jeff won’t mind, we can go Tuesday.”

“But you’ve been talking about it for 3 days.”

“It doesn’t matter, we can go later.” …. “Woah, what did I just say.”

“You said you don’t want to go ice fishing, you’d rather come with me.”

“…Wow. That’s not normal.”

That’s right, I gave up ice fishing with one of my best friends, on the 1st trip of the year, to drive to Hamilton and spend the night with her. Not only did I do it, but I would do it again, and I don’t understand…

The next morning I was feeling good, and made the haul back to Belleville. Also learned a lesson, and for a change, the powers that be let me see a lesson rather then experience it.

The lesson is as follows for any travelers:

Don’t mess with Santa Clause when he is handing out candy canes at the Union Station… He WILL make you look like the A - hole you are, when you refuse his candy, and then not wish him a Merry Christmas after he had wished you one.

Let that be a lesson every one. Also…Sanata might not be by flying with all 8 reindeer, so play nice.

Well I got home, I went our Christmas shopping, got it all done in 2 hours and had all my ice stuff ready to go, i was on a rol.

5 minutes to 7 the next morning and the dogs we are looking after go absolutely ape nuts when Jeff knocked on the door. After the opinion of my mother on a few things ice fishing, morning, and dog related we were off!

We got to the lake in good time, and were debating what to fish for. The usual perch, or try for the splake. We decided, true to form, that the day was long enough to try both. We went out off the 1st small point and punched 4 holes. 8.5 inches of ice…beauty!

DSCN1116.jpg

Using a small orange forage minnow with a minnow tail I was soon whackin’ the perch left and right. It was about 6 nothing on Jeff and I offered him my green forage minnow and he swapped it for is jiggin’ spoon he had on. After that it was game on. We managed 1 or 2 fish of some size and those we kept. Releasing the rest.

DSCN1118.jpg

We moved a couple times and ended up with a good set up, in about 15-20 feet of water and we put a pretty good hurt on the perch and rock bass. I had some nice small jigs and tried out the Berkley maggots a few times while we were here. They didn’t catch as many fish, or as many “big” fish. They did how ever catch fish while we were waiting for the next school to move through. Jeff had very few fish between schools. We had a couple of good rounds with fish, when set lines would go while you were fighting a fish. My favourite sort of chaos.

DSCN1117.jpg

Next we drilled a bunch of holes and walked them with the jigging rods looking for some good water. We ended up off a good sized point, in 30 feet of water to start. No fish and no weeds at bottom. So after a half hour of nothing we moved in to 20 feet. Here we found 2 small perch. So we moved into about 15 feet. We had a quick burst of action right at the start and then all was quiet again.

DSCN1119.jpg

We decided since the day was moving on, we’d go back to the productive holes, and give’m hell for the rest of the day. We did well, but at about 4:30 the bite died. I though they may have moved in to feed. Then in about 20 minutes we had 2 serious hits on the set lines, then Jeff ties into this guy on the ultra light gear. Not bad at all. Little while later we headed in.

DSCN1124.jpg

Though we had no splake, and didn’t work hard for them at all. We had a great day with the pan fish. We landed about 50 altogether. 17 came home with me. We punched 27 holes with the 8” hand auger looking for the structure we wanted. Ideally we were hunting for weeds max of about 6 inches long, in about 15 feet of water. Every spot we had those conditions we had fish. Thicker, taller coontail, though more green, held very few fish. Deep water over 20 feet held nothing.

The forage minnows were the best lure, although the set lines saw some action consistently. I had 2 hooks on my set line and the bottom consistently caught more fish. Ideal location was about 6 inches or less off bottom.

Weather was about -14 and warmed up as the day went on. About 11:30am a nasty wind kicked up for the rest of day. Although the air temp was warmer, the wind was icy and fingers became cold fast when out in it. Snow started in the afternoon and kept up till we got home. Jeff’s new collapsible hut and heater are awesome!.

DSCN1122.jpg

Had a great 1st trip on the ice, despite postponing it for a day. Can’t wait for the next one. I’ll try and take more photos. I didn’t really feel like it today. I was just out enjoying time of the ice. On the upside, I’m getting a better idea of the lake’s splake habitat. I was talking to a local, and might make the effort just after Christmas to find them. Have to make it to that island in the picture above on foot.

As always;

Keep an eye on the set lines.

-R-

Edited by Ramble On

Great report and pics Dave :thumbsup_anim:

You guys sure got into a lot of pan fish and the bass that Jeff caught.... beautiful :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Sure feels good to get out on ice for the first time eh :canadian: and funny that you only got active fish in the 15' range.... It's the same thing for us.... deeper waters produce zero for us :wallbash:

Thanks for sharing this report with us

Jacques