Steelhead Report 12/14

tipupesox

What a gorgeous morning to be out on the streams in Western New York this past Sunday. Fished a well known Southern Tier stream from 8:30 AM until around 2 PM with my friend Joe. The water was in perfect condition, clear enough to see in the riffle areas but the runs were a beautiful green color. A considerable difference from what the stream looked like earlier in the week due to all the rain and snow melt. We worked our way downstream from our entrance point and the first fish of the day came on a white mini jig tipped with a pink Berkley power grub. Unfortunately the fish got off, pulled the jig out after the fish made a run towards a boulder. Worked our way downstream and came to another run, first fish came at the tailout of the run as the float started to swing. Fish was on momentarly but the hook pulled out again. Fished the area for a while longer and was able to successfulyl land this beauty.

gallery_407_465_6178.jpg

Joe and I worked our way farther downstream to a run with a nice undercut that always holds fish. Unfortunately there were two guys already fishing the area. So we deceided to fish a deeper riffle area below. My friend Joe finally was able to hook into a decent fish on an egg fly pattern but lost it after a short battle. The two gentlemen left the run above so we moved up and give it a shot. Joe was able to go 2 for 3 on a pink Berkley trout worm.

We moved farther downstream to an area close to our exit point. After being sutdown for a while I was able to get a fish to hit on a pink work but got a poor hook set, fish off. Was persistent and hooked up with another fish on the pink worm. The fish was able able to run the line on a cut in the shale and my line broke. Joe was able to successfully land two more fish. Overall he went 4 for 6 and I 1 for 5.

Here are a few pictures that I downloaded from the end of November. Fish were caught in an urban stream 10 minutes from my house.

gallery_407_465_3547.jpg

gallery_407_465_28923.jpg