Nippissing Trip 19-21 Jan

Fisherman

Last weekends trip to Rob Hyatt's on ice cabins went very well. Picked us up at the parking lot with one of his two enclosed sleighs, big enough to haul 5 guys and all the kit in one run. The 6 man sleeper huts are clean, period. Equipped with stove, furnace and 2 gas lamps 6 bunks/w mattresses, couldn't ask for more. Each hut has its own crapper and whizzer outside. He and his other assistants came by more than often enough, even clued us in about the dirt cheap bus run to town to check out the entertainment. Fishing was just that, caught a bunch of perch, a heering, one keeper sized walleye that made up the saturday afternoon snack bowl. One other monster fish played with my line, Rob was there to coach and witness it, just saw a massive flash of something swimming by under the hole, seesawed back and forth with it for 5 minutes, almost impossible to gain any line. He even fingered the line to keep it off the ice edges from fraying, but no luck, the line broke. Still a satisfying tussle, the fish one. Plans are already being made for next year. Again, I'd never hesitate to recommend him for a great trip.

Can't get the pictures to load, try later..

100_9751.JPG

100_9750.JPG

Edited by Fisherman

Someday you'll see what I mean. Probably when you hook a large Pike or Musky (on light line).

That's happened a number of times. It's hard to fish 'eyes on nipissing any length of time without it happening, although the fight's usually over before it begins if you're leaderless.

I've landed 4lb+ smallies on a panfish outfit. Talk about fighting a whale!

I guess if you were relying on the drag and it hung up, you'd be screwed, but other than that I'm not sure what you mean?

Isn't that what a drag is for?? :blink:

A light setting on a decent reel serves the same purpose, but you don't have to take your hand off the reel. A good fish that runs could really get some momentum going on free handle/spool.

A good drag setting is nice to have, but when I'm hooking big fish on light line (usually fishing for smallies on Simcoe), I will also disengage the antireverse, the drag still leaves pressure on the line, and you may still break off. But when I've got a 6 pound smallie on the other end of my line during a tournament, I want no chance of that fish breaking off. Flicking off the antireverse and "backreeling" when the fish wants to go, will eliminate that chance, and you will land a lot more big fish!

A good drag setting is nice to have, but when I'm hooking big fish on light line (usually fishing for smallies on Simcoe), I will also disengage the antireverse, the drag still leaves pressure on the line, and you may still break off. But when I've got a 6 pound smallie on the other end of my line during a tournament, I want no chance of that fish breaking off. Flicking off the antireverse and "backreeling" when the fish wants to go, will eliminate that chance, and you will land a lot more big fish!

I understand "backreeling".

What was suggested was taking your hand off the handle altogether and basically letting the fish have its way when it decided it wanted to go.

I've never done this, but I suspect that on a big fish bad/disappointing things could happen if it went for a good run? :dunno: