got a old tent laying around?

BFSC Kevin

was wondering if i could just punch a few holes in the floor and use it as a ice hut? will that work? the floor space is 10 by 12, but my concern would be the head room. atleast it'll keep the wind out but im not too sure on keeping the heat in..anyone tried? tested? true???thanks!

was wondering if i could just punch a few holes in the floor and use it as a ice hut? will that work? the floor space is 10 by 12, but my concern would be the head room. atleast it'll keep the wind out but im not too sure on keeping the heat in..anyone tried? tested? true???thanks!

I was thinking of the same thing but wind is the big issue (picture going out for a nature call and tent is blowing away!).

You will feel pretty cramped without standing.

The minutes will seem like hours.

You will go mad.

However, might be O.K. if winds are less than 5-10km/hr.

But then you wouldn't reaaally need it!

Edited by snag

the one i have is roughly 5 ft tall, anyways, i'll be sitting on a bucket right? sitting in the centre, having the rods/hole face closer to the edge of the tent where there is less height... and in terms of the tent blowing away.. hm.. perhap stick a cooler in there to not fly away.. ? lol.. or i guess we/i could try strapping them down to the ice

Snag you anchor the tent like you would any portable hut, the old style with an outside frame are easy to anchor. Head room well I'm 5' 7" so wasn't an issue :lol:

Yeah, I keep thinking of those "pop-up" tents.

I stand and stretch a lot too.

Having a dark enclosure is great for viewing through the ice too.

If get a chance to try it, I'll let you guys know.

How do you anchor it?

Edited by snag

Fished many times last year with a friend who had just a little dome tent perfect for a quick set up and take down. But it is no standing room and I would recommend a dome because there will be less resistance from wind a little more aerodynamic just cut a cross in the floor thats all we did. If it has to be anchored just auger a hole outside take a piece of 2x4 with a rope drill a hole in the 2x4 tie a knot with rope slide down hole outside hut presto anchor. very good idea for a quick set up and take down a little coleman stove or whatever will keep it way warm enough.

Edited by BLACKFISH88

but i also found another one, where you would use your auger and drill a partial hole and you would put a peg in there as the anchor..im trying to find a pic

so here it is! found it on cabelas, selling for $24.99 USD i think i118235sn01.jpg

Great,

I've seen those but never new if they worked.

Thanks!

i used an old tent couple of times, real pain to set up in the wind. if you're not gonna stay in one spot for more than 3 or 4hrs forget it.

three seasons ago i used a hunting blind, set up was 5min even in the wind. it was a little cramped but with a small heater or latern it was very comfortable. now i only use portables, more expensive but way more convenient.