Steelhead rabbit fur jigs

kemper

I have been getting alot of PMs regarding the steelhead jigs and how one would go about making them. Well I decided to spin one up really quickly and do a step by step along the way.

This one is really rough, but the fish dont see whats underneath the fur anyways so dont waste your time with perfect wrapping, you are going to lose a bunch of these to the bottom no matter what.

1) Wrap your thread of choice onto a premium Daiichi jig hook, Im using size 5 here but smaller/larger for your applications is fine.

med_gallery_256_231_38844.jpg

2) Put a pin through the hole in a bead head (or in this case glass bead) and wrap the exposed (sharp) end of the pin onto the shank of the hook as shown.

med_gallery_256_231_41089.jpg

3) Take a length of rabbit fur strip (I use Streamside Inc.) in whatever colour you please and wrap it onto the ars end of the hook. The key is to make sure that you wrap it in properly so that the hair tips point to the BACK of the jig, and form a tail.

med_gallery_256_231_46293.jpg

4) Wrap the rabbit strip up the shank of the hook so that the hair falls pointing towards the back of the hook. You can tell if you are doing this right because it will only happen two ways. It will look right, or it will look back-asswards.

med_gallery_256_231_27671.jpg

5) Tie in the other end of the rabbit strip when you get to the top of the jig, and snip off any extra. Wrap the collar onto your jig and VOILA!

med_gallery_256_231_23617.jpg

There you have it, next stop STEELTOWN!

this particular jig is not of good quality, I was on the phone as I did it and it was very quickly tied but the idea is there. Dont spend a lot of time doing this, spin as many as you can because you are going to lose some if you are fishing them properly. Winter steelhead seem to love black/purple and anything is a bright orange/red/peach. I am also sure that some vet fly tyer is going to blast me for the cheap tie, but this is how I do it, its quick and they work. Nuff said.

any more questions just shoot!

Edited by kemper

Nice tutorial....the quality is just fine. The only thing I would add is that you need crosscut rabbit strips for that style jig. Typical zonker strips don't palmer near as well.

This man is correct, I forgot to add that.

I get mine at Gangons in Oshawa.

I was wondering where you got the daiichi 90's in #5, I've been looking around for quality hooks at BPS and LB but I haven't come across gammy's or dai's smaller than 2/0.

Do you use a finishing nail for the pin?

Thanx for the post,

Stan

Nope, just a simple pin from the fabric store will do fine!