Fall Salmon/Steel on Lake ontario tribs questions

ball9320

Hello everyone, im new to these fourms, and new as of last season to fishing steelhead/salmon in the lake ontario tribs. I only have experience fishing wilmot creek near my girlfriends place, where i landed 10 trout this spring. I have been using a cheap berkley 6.6 medium action rod with a shimano sienna reel and the common float/roe setup with a 6 lb fluro leader. I just purchaced a 10' 7wt fly rod with a fighting but that i plan to use for bass next seaison as i learned to fly fish a bit this summer, and was thinking id put my spinning reel on it this fall for some salmon/trout action. I was wondering if this sounds like a good idea or wheather i should go buy a proper noodle rod. I was also wondering if people could give me some advice on hotspots for steel/salmon in the gta, i think im going to try Erindale park in missisauga on a weekday, Id appreciate any advice on spots in the westernish part of the GTA. Thanks everyone.

- Andrew Ball

Try the fly rod out how its supposed to be used, the trout here will take nymphs, egg immatations, and almost anything that is red pink or orange.

Give it a go, you dont have to be great with a fly rod most of the tribs around here only have room for roll casts anyways

just use black electrical tape to tape your spinning reel in the centre / top half of the cork handle of the fly rod...now you have a make shift float rod !! I read it in a book one time.. Im not to familiar with fly rods , but I think a 7 weight , is a bit on the light side for chinny's ?!?! Just fill the reel right up with some 8lb line and try not to horse em in ...I should be the last person to be telling you that, LOL !!! For steelies the 7 weight should do the trick just fine... The longer rod will make the fight much more enjoyable , and easier for you to manuver the fish. Using a 6'6 for steelhead is a sin, LOL !!! ok not a sin but its like buying an automatic ferrari...you get my drift !! In the west end there's the credit, humber, and bronte for salmon, and browns...as for steelhead, I would rather fish the eastern tribs

well ive been geting away with my 6 weight fly rod for steelies pinks and some chinnys. i busted my 8 weight this year so all i have is my 6. u definatly have to be carful with the 6 or 7 on a chinny 1 hint use lots of backing lol