Coming to Oshawa

blaque

Hey guys, im coming to visit Oshawa in the morning (for work unfortunately) Going to a Home Outfitters Installation in the morning and was curious what my best route may be coming over the Lewiston Queenston bridge from the states. I have a 407 transponder but is that even advantageous to go that route. Ive done the mapquest thing but figured id get some advice from the horses mouth in regards to traffic etc.....id like to say im staying and bringin the rod but time just doesnt allow. The store is on Taunton Road East. I know this is a boring question, but what the heck. Thanks in advance

What time do you have to be in Oshawa? What time are you planning on crossing the bridge?

I'd say take the 407 if you are going to be in Toronto anytime after 7am and before 10am. Take the 404 south to the 401....you will have missed the morning rush into the city in the west end that way, and it only takes a few minutes to to get there. Traffic out the east end of the city is fine on the 401 in the morning. Keep going east on the 401 til you get to Oshawa.

Taunton Rd East....hmm....that's a pretty big road....LOL. Do you need to know a good exit? Avoid Simcoe Street if you can...it's a slow drive north. Harmony road is a better route to get up to Taunton. The Harmony exit is strange...you actually get off on Bloor St....you have to turn left on Bloor to the lights and then left on Harmony to go north.

If you're going to hit the city during the afternoon rush (2:30pm til 7pm), then stay on the 407 until it ends. The 407 turns into hwy 7. Keep going east thru Pickering, Ajax and Whitby. Once you hit Thickson road (in Whitby), you can come south down to Taunton. Turn left on Taunton into Oshawa.

Hope this helps....if anyone else has some advice, chime in!!

Good luck!

Edited by ccmt

I often have to head into that area for work as well, and pass through there everytime I go to my trailer.

I never take the 407 so don't have much help there...I would ,after getting into Canada..take the 405 to the QEW, then take that all the way through to Oakville, then take the 403 cut-off near the Ford Plant, keep going on that to the 401 East, then into Oshawa, depending on where on Taunton Rd you have to work,,first exit in Oshawa I think is the Thickson Rd cut-off just past Whitby, go North to Taunton if going this way.

Edited by jwl

.....to the 401 East, then into Oshawa, depending on where on Taunton Rd you have to work,,first exit in Oshawa I think is the Thickson Rd cut-off just past Whitby.

Thickson is atually the last exit in Whitby. Taunton Rd East starts east of Simcoe Street in Oshawa, so I'd stay on the 401 til the Harmony rd exit. I live in Whitby, just off Thickson, so I'm pretty familiar with the area once you hit the east end.

At least I wasn't trying to get him lost like you Cliff :o:lol:

I would have to say go by Cliff's 'intown" directions for sure as he lives there, most places I have worked in that area are pretty easy to find they are mainly in a "power centre" type setting just off the hwy.

Sorry to disagree (not really disagree, just using your option #2) with you CCMT, but here is what I would do:

I think you can get on the 407 somewhere just after coming across the Skyway - basically get on as soon as you can coming from Niagara.

Get on 407, follow to the very end - the last Exit is Brock Road

Continue straight on Hwy #7, this is the highway 407 "turns into" at the end

Go past Westney Road, Lakeridge Road, Baldwin St, Thickson, Simcoe

Turn Right on to Harmony

Turn Left on to Taunton

If you reach Grandview after turning on to Taunton, you've gone too far and are past 991.

I would steer clear of the 401 all the way, especially if work is picking up the tab. By going the route I explained, it will take you less time and you will drive fewer k.m.

Edited by Dutch

Sorry to disagree (not really disagree, just using your option #2) with you CCMT, but here is what I would do:

I think you can get on the 407 somewhere just after coming across the Skyway - basically get on as soon as you can coming from Niagara.

Get on 407, follow to the very end - the last Exit is Brock Road

Continue straight on Hwy #7, this is the highway 407 "turns into" at the end

Go past Westney Road, Lakeridge Road, Baldwin St, Thickson, Simcoe

Turn Right on to Harmony

Turn Left on to Taunton

If you reach Grandview after turning on to Taunton, you've gone too far and are past 991.

I would steer clear of the 401 all the way, especially if work is picking up the tab. By going the route I explained, it will take you less time and you will drive fewer k.m.

I agree fully with this route.

Edited by Lowe Rider

Yep...Dutch is the way to go. I'm just too cheap, so I get off at the 404. :lol:

Friday morning traffic is much lighter than any other day of the week, so booting down the 404 and then onto the 401 could be faster, although there will be no traffic staying on the 407 and hitting hwy 7.

If you're going to hit traffic it'll be west of the city anyways (and the west end of the city itself).

At any rate, hope you have a speedy and safe drive.