Rice Lake - Sept 6-9

gone_fishin

Well, I'm back from my annual trip to Rice Lake. this was my 15th year for this trip (i've been going since i was 8 years old)... Had a great time as usual. we didn't get as many big fish as we usually do, but the numbers were definitely still there.

we got to the pinecrest resort at about 1pm on saturday and started unloading the car and getting the fishing gear all set up.

i didn't take any pictures on the saturday, but we caught between 15 and 20 smallmouth bass between the 5 of us. we actually had 3 fish in the boat within the first 20 minutes of fishing. biggest fish was 2Lb 12ozs

Sunday, again, i didn't take any pictures but we brought the smallmouth tally up to about 50 for the group, i got about half of them... but the biggest one i got was only 2Lb 4ozs. on sunday night my boat ran out of bait (the secret magical bait - that can't be bought in stores anymore...) so we had to change our game plan...

so, monday morning me and my dad went out for some Largemouths instead while the other boat used the last of their smallie bait... Last year was the first year we actually caught any Largemouths while on this trip, mainly because we usually just focus on the smallies...

we decided to toss senkos along weedlines and under fallen trees... i got 6 decent largemouths and my dad got 4, plus one small smallie.

here's a couple of mine... the bigger one (second pic) is 2Lb 6ozs... ended up being my biggest fish for the weekend...

pics015.jpg

pics016.jpg

me and my dad met up with the other guys and they had added 3 more smallies to the tally... and these ones were a bit bigger too, around the 3 pound mark.

around noon a cold front moved through, it started raining pretty good, and the wind picked up big time, so we got a bit of a late start to the afternoon/evening fish and didn't get back out until about 5pm... tried for some more largies, but they were nowhere to be found. we decided to hit the deeper water and try for the elusive walleye... after about an hour of drifting, my brother hooks into a nice fish...

pics014.jpg

3Lb 1oz, that fish turned out to be the biggest of the weekend... and for that he got to bring home the "DANNO AWARD"

pics.jpg

The trophy is in memory of our good buddy Dan, he came on this trip with us every year. last year was his last year with us. he died of cancer just 2 months after the trip last year. he was only 43 years old. so i made up that trophy to present to the biggest fish of the weekend for this year, and for future years.

we didn't get out fishing tuesday morning because it was too windy and it was freezing cold out... but all in all it was a great weekend... can't wait till next year! lol.