fishing------------------september 1

bassmaster4

Today i went to Bellwood lake in Fergus to try for some bass. We fished the river below the dam. As soon as we got there i caught a fair sized smallie about 14". After that it went dead. There was a huge school of some sort of small fish, thousands. The weird thing is the school of fish would jump and it set off like a chain reaction and all the other ones jumped at the exact same time it was the weirdest thing, also some of these fishes heads were sticking out of the water at first i thought it was bubbles but then i seen them opening their mouthes. This was all going on about 15-20 feet away from me and the average size of these i would say is about 6 inches so i couldnt see them too well they were sort of silver and green. I didnt have my camera but i dont think i wouldve gotten a good picture anyway. When i would cast in their direction as soon as my lure hit the water they would all jump at the exact same time it was quite weird but cool to see. This sort of concerned me because i have never seen anything like that and I am thinking it could be some sort of invasive species. Saw a lot of dead bullheads too. I tried catching the jumpng fish but they wouldnt bite anything. I was wondering if anyone has seen the same thing i dont know if I described it well enough but thats the best I can. I was thinking smelt but i dont think they all jump like that its so synchronized nd then it just moves on from one school to the other.

Edited by bassmaster4

probably a school of big emerald shiners..tis that timeof year when the mights get cooler they school right up in certain places..pretty soon a couple of my fav big bait catching spots will be loaded so I can get the tank going again with some big steelie and pike bait for fall/winter :Gonefishing:

Guest skeeter99

it happens this time of year

I was out on saturday and sunday and all sorts of baitfish jumping out of the water every casr and seen them busting the surface while driving down the lake, It seems when this is going on the fish tend to slow down or is what I think is happening is that the fish are chalk full of these first year fish and are tougher to catch, but I still got quite a few fish real shallow just not as many as usual

the walleye are going nuts in the kawarthas during this but the bass slow down kinda weird

Edited by skeeter99